It's official, in Ky we will have a mild winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have the wooly worm to prove it, if we do have a bad winter, it's gonna be bad news for this guy.
wooly worm.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have tons of those things around here. Ours have dark black stripes, although I did see a solid black one. So what's the story on the warm winter deal @cnyle ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of those things around here. Ours have dark black stripes, although I did see a solid black one. So what's the story on the warm winter deal @cnyle ?
Do Woolly Bear Caterpillars Forecast Winter Weather?
According to legend, the wider that middle brown section is (i.e., the more brown segments there are), the milder the coming winter will be. Conversely, a narrow brown band is said to predict a harsh winter. But is it true?

Ours here have lots of black to all black.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok then we are going to have hot sunny days all winter cuz our suckers have tons of thick black stripes and then there was that solid black one.......................yahoooooooooooooooooooo
You know I'm going to be very upset if this doesn't hold water

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ummmmmmmmmmmm jw thick black is bad...................COLD coming! The wider the Brown the milder the winter, not the black................
our suckers have tons of thick black stripes and then there was that solid black one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yup sorry JW but you are doomed hehe. It's all folk lore just like the almanac, but I always look at for the worms just for fun I guess. Today we were at a house and I seen another one about like the one I posted above, only he had a little black at the end. I guess like Addy posted think of it as the brown being mild and black being cold. The more black the more cold. It starts at the head, so on my little guy winter is going to start out cold, but then be mild the rest of the time. Oh please please be right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not discounting it's usefulness tbendl just it's weather predicting lol. I gave up on it when I use to depend on it to get out of school during the winter, they would predict snowfall and it was never right ha. Woolie worms on the other hand... lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn it I thought you guys were calling the black that I see brown. That's where I got all messed up. Now see I am stuck w/ piles of snow......................WAIT...............I LOVE SNOW................if that's what it means I'm ok w/that. Just don't like -10f temps if that's what it means o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm not sure if the black means snow or just cold, only that it means it will be a bad winter. Now in your case JW if a bad winter means alot of snow, you're all set ! HA

Ask a Question