It's that time of year -- that pesky itch to build something is back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I built my pond as my 50th birthday present to myself. It took more strength than I thought and more money than I had, but I love it! I joke that although I'm too tired to vacuum or dust, if someone handed me a shovel and said "here's 10k dollars! Build a pond!" I would immediately have a burst of energy and enthusiasm! I just loved the process!
I definitely do NOT have money or energy to do something large scale. Not to mention that might be the straw that broke my ever-patient and tolerant husband's back. BUT I've been daydreaming a bit about another little project that I might be able to get away with.
I've been surprised that my lotus pool (stagnant pre-formed small pond used for lotus - no filtration) has never attracted frogs or toads. I'd love to see some tadpoles and I know we have lots of tree frogs in the area. They are deafening in the late Spring.
I know the main pond has tons of circulation and the rocks are above the water's edge - so not a good environment for amphibians. Not sure why the lotus pool hasn't had visitors... But what about doing a little frog pond next to or near the big pond? I watched a video about making one - by The Pond Digger - a while back. I don't know if this is just inviting mosquitoes.
I need to do research - but thought I would start here. Has anyone done anything similar? I think it is essentially a mud/water hole but I would want mine to be a PRETTY mud/water hole!
Ideas? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Try it! What do you have to lose! A husband? Get another one! haha!

Just kidding. I saw that frog pond video too - very cute - but I did wonder about that little mosquito detail. What if the frogs took one look and said "meh. Not my style." However - we have frogs EVERYWHERE in our yard, so I'm sure if I gave them one more water hole to sit in, they would do it. We had frogs taking up residence in our liner after a heavy rain before it even went in the pond! Every year I have two or three that live in my small patio pond and another half dozen that live in the pondless waterfall. If you are similarly hosting many many frogs, I say give it a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just sat with my big cup of coffee and watched the videos again. I've got the urge. BAD.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am certainly NOT the one to be giving any advice on "to build, or not to build....if that's the question," but I try (operative word here..."try") to follow a four to seven day litmus test. I mull over the project, plan it in my head (plenty of space there,) come up with a list of mental pros and cons, lay awake nights thinking about it, and if after several days I'm still hot to do the project then I grant myself permission to proceed. Occasionally I dissuade myself for one reason or another, but some times my original idea was expanded to include another facet that enhanced the project and I really, really need to follow through.
Like the time I was at Tractor Supply and noticed this 10' long by 3' or 4' wide, by 3' off the ground cattle/horse feeding trough on sale. This thing had a metal frame, bullet proof plastic kinda stuff that formed the bed, and a small hole in the center bottom just begging for a water return line to be attached..............................sorry, got carried away.....again.
Some people would call our "problem" an obsession, I still maintain that it's therapy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
What about a small wildlife pond, something for frogs, but also birds could drink and bathe? I think if it was nicely planted you could also attract butterflies and pollinators. Ifyou kept a small pump circulating , mosquitoes wouldn't be a problem.....there are also mosquito dunks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes, Tula! That would be my hope. I think if I do it, I will do out back where we get deer and other critters. They would enjoy it too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Update: Shocker! I think the husband might be on board! I was looking for a place to put this imaginary frog pond and came to the conclusion that the front yard has the big pond, a nice lawn, and established flower beds. That's probably not the place. The backyard, however, backs up to a large swath of forest. I have two raised vegetable beds that have been eyesores for the past few years. They get several hours of sun, but not enough for veggies to really thrive. (The big trees have all grown so much over the last 20 years.) In addition to that, the deer, squirrels and chipmunks get to the produce before I do. We've been thinking it might be time to dismantle the beds. I was just looking for photos of the area. They are almost all of deer in the yard. Clearly, wildlife would enjoy it! Also, the area gets kind of soggy after big rains. It would be a great place for iris and such, planted in the area around. Our only hesitation is due to the cost of "good" rocks. I'd like a couple of big honkers, which would be pricey. But with a little planning and saving, I think I can make this happen!
There isn't really an excellent picture of the specific spot. I need to take more later. But I'm sharing all of these for fun. Those babies are so stinkin' cute! I'm always sad when I see how skinny the moms are when they are nursing.

Attachments

• yard1.jpeg
    yard1.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 119
  • yard2.jpeg
    yard2.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 123
  • yard3.jpeg
    yard3.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 107
  • yard4.jpg
    yard4.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 129
  • yard5.jpg
    yard5.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 112
  • yard6.jpeg
    yard6.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 115
  • yard7.jpg
    yard7.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Timothy -- no worries on not leaping in. We are soooo slow to accomplish things here. :p I swear we mull an idea over for months before we decide to do it, then need many more months to set aside the money for whatever it is. For this project, though, we might actually be able to do it within the year, since the equipment cost will be very low, compared to the fish pond. No electric or mechanical stuff - more shallow hole, so less digging. And I have all the plants I need, too. I have so many perennials that need to be divided in the yard, and the pond plants always need pulling, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Did you notice the picture of the doe with 4 fawns? That was a wild year!!!!! We aren't for sure, but we think the one mother had 3 babies. Unusual but not unheard of. She started showing up with another doe and another fawn. Then after a while, it was just the one Mom and 4 little ones. We think something happened to the other doe, so the wonderful Mom adopted the baby. They were all really funny to watch. One evening, the 4 babies showed up in my next door neighbor's yard and they went into the front, which is closer to a road and not where they usually hang out. I was watching for a while and wondering where Mom was, when she came out of the woods in the back. I swear, she was perturbed and you could tell. She walked halfway up to the side of the house and gave them the stink eye. Pretty soon, the little ones came trotting back around to where they were supposed to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I need to get off the dang computer, but before I do: I found a picture of the beds without plants - it might show the area a little better. Then a couple more deer pix. This was one of the days that the "kids" went up into the neighbor's yard. She was having an addition put on her house, so the construction site was just too interesting. The little ones were up on the wall, right outside my kitchen window.

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 102
  • deer2.jpg
    deer2.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 115
  • deer3.jpg
    deer3.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 101

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat pictures! I have never seen our mom deer look that skinny, maybe we have more food here for them.

Those raised gardens will make great frog ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Neat pictures! I have never seen our mom deer look that skinny, maybe we have more food here for them.

Those raised gardens will make great frog ponds.
I'm actually going to dismantle the beds and put a natural looking pond in the same location. I tried to upload a picture but it's too large (and I'm not tech savvy enough to make it smaller.) I think it will give the back yard a pretty focal point and we already know the critters come to visit!
I think the does here are only that skinny when they are nursing a bunch of babies. During the rest of the year, they look fat and sassy. Our neighborhood backs up to a national park, so there are a bunch of them. I think they like to tour around the neighborhoods and snack on hostas!
I'm super excited to do this, but I need to cool my jets! I don't have the cash yet. (looking around the room to see what I could possibly sell for some quick rock money... :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question