It's time for SHADE in the South!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The shade sail went up yesterday. I only covered 1/2 of the pond instead the whole thing like last year, so I'll see if one is going to be enough. The water temp yesterday was 88.something, approaching 90, and our hottest part of the summer is yet to come. Water is turning into pea soup, and water parameters are all WNL. I only have about 1/2 the amt of plants covering the surface as last year (nothing has done well with year....).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I think I also need to make some shade until surface gets well covered as currently its has only 8 lily leaves and 4 water lettuce(wait for them to multiply)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish When I originally posted, the water temp was almost 90 [I Think I said 88.something, but it was 89.something...]. Checked just now and it was 85.6 -- that's a 4-5 degree difference, so proof that the shade really does help! I don't mind the pea soup water, but wanted to check my parameters to make sure it wasn't due to the water quality being "off". I have lots of aeration and the dissolved 02 was 8% so I do feel safe. The air temp is around 93 right now and it's bright & sunny.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's good to see the shade brings the temperature down so much. Luckily my pond is mostly shaded so I don't get the real warm water (well that and the fact that in Ohio we don't get crazy hot at least not for very long if at all) I moved my stock tank under the gazebo so it's shaded as well.

I knew you had a good amount of aeration from our previous discussions. I am really liking the aerator I got last summer that sits on the bottom of the pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Curious how do you measure dissolved O2?
This is the kit I have. I have no idea how accurate it is, but the results are consistent.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I have that test. I haven't had trouble reading it. I normally use it outside at the patio table so I'm in the sunlight which I think helps.

I know what you mean though by some of the colors on the tests. They can be very hard to differentiate.

Ask a Question