It's warming up and fishies are out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The weather has been fooling around, one week frozen and one week warm.

It's a warning up turn and it's a great time to work on my pond a bit.

I re arranged my wate falls and while doing that scooped up lots of muck that was behind the fall. I also re arranged the bricks I have in there.

The fishies also came out I say hi (before I did the work) so I gave then a little treat of dried brine shrimp. It took them a while to notice the food ;) I made sure not to give them too much coz it'll get cold again in a few days.

So it's confirmed one shubby is gone. Don't know how but I've never saw the body.

Here are my babies-
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish it would stay warm another couple of days so ground can dry it and I can get old liner out and new liner in .But no Canada has to share it's cold weather with us .:)They don' t want it any more so they send it down here

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hate you!! :mad:

Ok, ok... Its nothing personal... :) but I sure wish we had some decent weather around here! My pond wont be halfway decent for another couple of months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank :) it's not going to be warm for long but today it's going to be 70!! Tomorrow in the 50s. Yea sissy, it's too bad we get cold so much this year, it's so unusual!

Addy, thanks :) that's all I have, 5 fishes. Too bad one of my shubby is gone. I want to add more shubby later. I have one in my inside tank but he's 'blue' with very little black so hope his color develop more soon (I would like more black, but it's ok like this too)

JB, now you know how I envy you with all your frogs ;) hehe, joking aside, it's a perk of living in the 'south' even though we get pretty bad winter this year (I had to cancel my vacation trip to Jamaica due to snow storm 2 weeks ago) but the weather get back to normal when the storm passes.

I'm hoping to get shubby babies his year, finger crossed...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh and the other 3 goldfish are the 20 cents feeder goldfish, they turned out nice :)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Somewhat warm enough to do work, but it's too rainy right now.

Our pond has sprung a leak, which I've localized to the pump system since it only leaks when the pump is on. I think it has to do with the top of the waterfall, which we cleaned a few months ago. Not sure exactly what it is. Can't really trace it now because it's too wet to see wet spots or where it's leaking.

I'll probably change the configuration at the top to make it less hidden from view. I'm also going to be developing a new JohnHuff filter that hopefully people will use instead of all these static media filters.

Oh, and we've decided not to buy Koi anymore as the last ones have all been eaten despite our best efforts. I think we'll be just getting feeder fish and let them grow big. We've seen some really nice feeders with a red spot on their heads like Tancho and I think we'll be stocking our pond with those.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
John, one of my feeder goldfish has red spot on the head just like what you said :)

To think I started with 27 goldfish and now reduced to 5 is kinds funny looking back at how clueless I was. Still clueless but better now coz I found this forum :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We were all clueless at some time or another. The net has helped so much in finding info and suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I hate you!! :mad:

Ok, ok... Its nothing personal... :) but I sure wish we had some decent weather around here! My pond wont be halfway decent for another couple of months.

JB... let's sympathize with each other! I'm in northern Illinois where we have more below zero weather coming this week - ugh. I could finally see my waterfall again, but fish? Not a chance! I think we'll still have snow on the ground come Memorial Day at this pace.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB... let's sympathize with each other! I'm in northern Illinois where we have more below zero weather coming this week - ugh. I could finally see my waterfall again, but fish? Not a chance! I think we'll still have snow on the ground come Memorial Day at this pace.

Haha, yeah below zero temps coming for us too. -25 windchill in a couple of days. (n) I'm really hoping March helps us out a little and brings the temps up. If there were any year for Spring to come early, this would be the one!

Ask a Question