JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So, I've had an extra piece of liner about 4' x 4'. sitting in the garage.
I started thinking to myself: Could I put it in the ground, fill it with dirt, and plant cattails or horsetail rush in it? I figure the liner will hold the water in longer which would make it work. That way I could plant Cattails or horsetail along the outside of my stream.

Here's a little computer drawing I just did to show you what I mean.
plantsliner.png

So if you guys have any idea, let me know if it would work!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am considering the same idea for lotus. I have a 10x15 liner that I am thinking about placing in a hole below the drain pipes for my 55 gal. barrel filters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a home depot tarp to make my carnivorous plant bog. Filled it with peat moss and sand 50/50. It is in full sun so I do need to water it once and a while esp if we don't get rain.

Go for it! If the area is real wet i.e. input of water from the pond you might want to put some holes in the liner to allow it to drain a little. I did not put any holes in the tarp but it dries out with the full sun it gets.

mrsclem, just make sure it is deep enough not to freeze the tubers over winter. My tubers are around 12-18 below water surface. So they have survived 3 winters.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it's a wonderful idea and don't see why it wouldn't work! Of course, the trick would be to make it deep enough to support the plant. I might try it. We have been moving VEEEERY SLOW in getting our bog made.....:( I have plants that I purchased for the bog that are sitting in a small kiddie pool, still in their pots, some not doing so well [but it's a good environment for the frogs & toads, soooo].

Reaction score
I have cattails (the ones with the hotdog thingys on top) planted beside my current and previous ponds, neither were contained in any sort of liner, but both had automatic sprinkler systems watering them. It seems as long as the soil gets well watered every day those things will flourish. A little fertilizer doesn't hurt either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OMG now you spark a project in my head.. now I'll have to do it too... dont even have a space for it anymore!!! Was reading the nature pond, then this... :)

great idea :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks a lot everyone! I had a feeling it would work but wanted some opinions first.
I figure as long as its as deep or deeper than the pot I have my current cattails in it should be suitable. Cant wait to try it!

and "hot dog thingys" made me laugh pretty hard LOL

Reaction score
I was having the same idea too with some scrap liner, to plant more marginals OUT of, but near the ponds .. we have irrigation heads near where I want to put the scrap, so figured that would help keep it all wet ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bog plants, pond plants, nicely grow out of the ponds, bogs and grow great in the dirt. Even parrots feather is growing in the dirt.

Ask a Question