japanese maple near the pond...

Reaction score
I got a japanese maple from lowes on clearance. Anyone have any concerns with roots if planted near the pond? I got a osakazuki sunset, it grows 15-20ft tall. it needs some TLC. but I think it will be worth the time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A friend of mine has a bunch of japanese maples near his pond, he has had no issues with roots.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great nurse it to health, love the tlc area of the nursery. I am always rescuing plants.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Japanese maples, as a rule, do not have an invasive or aggressive root system. That said, if it is a liner pond, this is not really an issue anyway. Good luck, these trees are worth some effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 3 next to the pond with no problems.
One of tmem cascades into the pond and the koi keeps it trimmed to about 2" from the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 next to the pond with no problems.
One of tmem cascades into the pond and the koi keeps it trimmed to about 2" from the water.
Wow!! Love it! I have red eared slider a pleco and a few koi in my pond… looking for some character above! Do all the leaves fall in? If so, is it ok if the koi eat the leaves??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow!! Love it! I have red eared slider a pleco and a few koi in my pond… looking for some character above! Do all the leaves fall in? If so, is it ok if the koi eat the leaves??
welcomesiamcat.gif
@ewingworks
I have a Japanese Maple right next to my pond and yes the leaves used to make a real mess in my pond. Now I have some small holed netting just over my other wide weaved netting that goes over the whole pond. I have the small holed stuff just over the area of big holed netting so the leaves from the tree can't fall in so much anymore. If I had it to do over the tree would not be so close to my pond. I don't think the Maple leaves hurt the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got a japanese maple from lowes on clearance. Anyone have any concerns with roots if planted near the pond? I got a osakazuki sunset, it grows 15-20ft tall. it needs some TLC. but I think it will be worth the time.
i'd put something between the maple and the liner IF THE OUTER MOST BRANCHES ARE EXPECTED TO HAND OVER THE LINER

Ask a Question