Japanese Maples

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
i've always wanted a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) and now that i'm building a pond, the want is even greater b/c they pair well/look good together. i'm shopping for one and now i'm feeling very impulsive and want a few b/c there's quite a few varieties of A. palmatum! i've seen a few in big box home improvement stores and a plant nursery. i want to visit one or 2 more nuseries before i pick one or two.

my favs so far are...

Red Dragon - the nursery had a small for $100 and another a few more mature examples (smaller than the one pictured below tho) for $300. Red Dragon is a dwarf variety, lace leaf and it's reds brightens up in the fall.
Red-Dragon-Japanese-Maple-50w_1024x1024.jpg

Coral Bark - i haven't seen this one in person at the stores yet but it is a much taller variety. i has green leaves that changes w/ the season and much more dramatically, it has a red trunk and branches! (looks like some bark/skin peeled of of the one pictured below tho).
coral bark.jpg

i will try to start w/ just one A. palmatum but i wouldn't surprise myself if i bring 2 home. :ROFLMAO: i also want a purple one! :love::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Anyways - do u have a Japanese Maple w/ your pond or garden? Pix would be greatly appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We moved into this house 2 years ago. There are 2 Japanese maples, and we like them. The one on the side of the house has reddish leaves, but the one in the backyard has green leaves. I don’t know if they are different varieties, or if sun exposure plays a part, as one gets more morning sun (green on), a the other (reddish one), gets more afternoon sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly off topic... I've had a mic of maples growing from a small 3 litre pot and now almost 1.5m tall and growing. Only issue I have is the leaves seem to be drying out and crumbling. New leaves seem to be fine until they get larger and have the same issue.

We do water plenty and is next to fence for shade but unable to find cause. Is there a feed especially for maples maturing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i've always wanted a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) and now that i'm building a pond, the want is even greater b/c they pair well/look good together. i'm shopping for one and now i'm feeling very impulsive and want a few b/c there's quite a few varieties of A. palmatum! i've seen a few in big box home improvement stores and a plant nursery. i want to visit one or 2 more nuseries before i pick one or two.

my favs so far are...

Red Dragon - the nursery had a small for $100 and another a few more mature examples (smaller than the one pictured below tho) for $300. Red Dragon is a dwarf variety, lace leaf and it's reds brightens up in the fall.
View attachment 133286

Coral Bark - i haven't seen this one in person at the stores yet but it is a much taller variety. i has green leaves that changes w/ the season and much more dramatically, it has a red trunk and branches! (looks like some bark/skin peeled of of the one pictured below tho).
View attachment 133287

i will try to start w/ just one A. palmatum but i wouldn't surprise myself if i bring 2 home. :ROFLMAO: i also want a purple one! :love::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Anyways - do u have a Japanese Maple w/ your pond or garden? Pix would be greatly appreciated.
I have several Japanese red maples, one by my pond and 2 others in the yard. The one by the pond is a lace leaf, as shown in the photo below...

200610 - pond pano.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Red dragons can have bark issues as they are very particular to how deep they are planted. They also require i good deal of sun or they will get a bloodredgreen color to there leaves. They also usually turn into a ball or red where you see little to no branches to me seeing there branches twisting as and turning is appeal to the Japanese maple

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
We moved into this house 2 years ago. There are 2 Japanese maples, and we like them. The one on the side of the house has reddish leaves, but the one in the backyard has green leaves. I don’t know if they are different varieties, or if sun exposure plays a part, as one gets more morning sun (green on), a the other (reddish one), gets more afternoon sun.
i'm sure they are different subspecies/varieties. does the green one change colors in the fall?

I have several Japanese red maples, one by my pond and 2 others in the yard. The one by the pond is a lace leaf, as shown in the photo below...
very nice! how old/mature is the one next to your pond? i wonder how longer it would take to grow out young $100 tree from a gallon pot that the nursery had.

Red dragons can have bark issues as they are very particular to how deep they are planted. They also require i good deal of sun or they will get a bloodredgreen color to there leaves. They also usually turn into a ball or red where you see little to no branches to me seeing there branches twisting as and turning is appeal to the Japanese maple
is that your experience/perspective or are u quoting another source? either way, in a Japanese Maple i prefer their weeping look so i don't mind if i don't see many branches or twisting which the cascading leaves can obscure. if i had somekinda Japanese Pine, then i would look for the twisting roots and branches. And now that u brought up twisting, Lol imma look into some Japanese Pines too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thats both , my experience and what the nursery told me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
very nice! how old/mature is the one next to your pond? i wonder how longer it would take to grow out young $100 tree from a gallon pot that the nursery had.

Mine is about 10 years old now. Below, a comparison pic when I first planted it (you can barely see it on the left, between the rock and lantern). It was about 2' tall in 2011

2011-08-13 at 16-35-04.jpg

Ask a Question