Jebao CF-20 - Question about cleaning the filter pads

Reaction score
I bought a jebao cf-20, the one with the 3 hoses as seen below.
cf20_01.jpg

When I clean the filter pads, here are my steps.

1) Power off the filter
2) Drain pond water (with external tube and pump) from the filter to the yard, Because the pond water is still inside the filter all the way full, even when the filter is turned off. So, I need to drain the water before removing the 3 filter pads, otherwise, the bioballs would float upwards as I remove the pads, and I wouldn't be able to rearrange them when I place the pads back down if the pond water is full inside the filter.
3) So after draining the pond water out of the filter, I would then take out the pads and clean them.

*By the way, the backwash feature doesn't work good, so I never use that on this filter.

So my question is, what is the best way to clean the filter pads on the cf-20? DO I need to drain the pond water from the filter like this everytime I need to take the pads out to clean?

Any advice and suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could hose them off and then wash them good in a bucket of peroxide and water and that should kill any of the smaller algae cells

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I should clarify my question.

What is the best way to clean the filter pads on the cf-20? DO I need to drain the pond water from the filter like this everytime I need to take the pads out to clean?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
What is the best way to clean the filter pads on the cf-20? DO I need to drain the pond water from the filter like this everytime I need to take the pads out to clean?
Well according to you, you have to do it, otherwise the bioballs just float up and you have a heck of a time rearranging them back in.

After you take them out, just hose them off with your garden hose. It's a myth that your municipal water will kill off the beneficial bacteria because the biofilm protecting them is very hardy.

What kind of a pond do you have? Size and number of fish?
I think in the long run, it would be better to build your own simple filter. These commercial filters are frankly not very good and difficult to maintain.

Reaction score
My filter doesn't have a drain valve. I turn it on it's side and pour it out.

With mine, it's in an enclosed space on the ground, and lifting it up onto the side is quite heavy. That's why I drain using an external tube first.

So far, I'm guessing, that there's really no easy way to clean the pads on the Jebao CF-20.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
With mine, it's in an enclosed space on the ground, and lifting it up onto the side is quite heavy. That's why I drain using an external tube first.

So far, I'm guessing, that there's really no easy way to clean the pads on the Jebao CF-20.
Sure sounds like it - lol! My filter can be buried, but I don't, because it would be hard to clean. I "hide" it in a hydrangea bush:)

Ask a Question