Jelly algae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a follow up to a thread posted in March 2011 by metal mickey. I, like him, am experiencing alot of floating algae that turns to jelly when netted out. Every day I collect it and can accumulate a bucket full in a week. The water is gin clear, but this infestation looks awful. Did this problem ever get a solution? Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry i was not around back then and i really have no idea but if i had to take a stab at it i would try NUALGI

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@pond Jeb Could you possibly put a link to the thread you are talking about? Either that, or respond to that particular thread with an answer so it will pop up. Also, if you will put the “@” in front of the name, it should link to that member. But you have to type the name in exactly as it appears per the member‘s profile. “@metalmickey“ doesn’t link to anything, so you must not have the name just right. (I just did a member search and that name doesn’t come up at all.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@pond Jeb Could you possibly put a link to the thread you are talking about? Either that, or respond to that particular thread with an answer so it will pop up. Also, if you will put the “@” in front of the name, it should link to that member. But you have to type the name in exactly as it appears per the member‘s profile. “@metalmickey“ doesn’t link to anything, so you must not have the name just right. (I just did a member search and that name doesn’t come up at all.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, typo on my part. The original thread was from metal micky, so would that be @metalmicky ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is a follow up to a thread posted in March 2011 by metal mickey. I, like him, am experiencing alot of floating algae that turns to jelly when netted out. Every day I collect it and can accumulate a bucket full in a week. The water is gin clear, but this infestation looks awful. Did this problem ever get a solution? Any thoughts?
Lots more info about your pond would help -
How big, how many fish, what kind and size of fish, what kind of filtration, how old is the pond, are you treating with chemicals, doing water changes, etc. Your reference to “gin clear water” is frequently used with dedicated koi ponds - is that what you’re keeping or is this a garden pond?

All algae boils down the same thing - too many mutiroent and not enough to consume them. So Mother Nature sends her clean up crew. There are a million kinds of algae but they all thrive on nutrient rich water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, pond size, 20,000ltrs. Excellent Oase pump and filtration system with 50 watt UV lamp. Had major heron(s) problem, as a result got fed up with being their canteen. Since then cleaned and refilled and no fish, merely ornamental plants. A year ago had a bad blanket weed issue and used Cloverleaf blanket control which saw it off, but left a greeny/brown residue on the liner and it seems to be that residue that is rising to the top in small clumps which collect together and covert to jelly in the net. Maybe the answer is a complete drain, clean and a refill, but if there was something available to neutralise, then that would be preferable. P.S. I am only surmising that the Cloverleaf started the problem!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi, pond size, 20,000ltrs. Excellent Oase pump and filtration system with 50 watt UV lamp. Had major heron(s) problem, as a result got fed up with being their canteen. Since then cleaned and refilled and no fish, merely ornamental plants. A year ago had a bad blanket weed issue and used Cloverleaf blanket control which saw it off, but left a greeny/brown residue on the liner and it seems to be that residue that is rising to the top in small clumps which collect together and covert to jelly in the net. Maybe the answer is a complete drain, clean and a refill, but if there was something available to neutralise, then that would be preferable. P.S. I am only surmising that the Cloverleaf started the problem!

Without fish you don’t have a complete eco system so some chemical treatment may be required to keep things in balance.

Ask a Question