Jikin goldfish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
At first I didnt want to spend the money. But I fund that they are hard to find at the local store. If I find nice looking shubunkin at the store that I like then I bought them (in fact I bought about 5 of them). I bought online for specific colors and type and since now i want watonai, which is very hard to find and are not sold in store, I have no choice but to buy online. And if the fish is pretty and unusual, i tend to closed my eyes when i hit the 'buy' button :oops: (3 of them from rain garden and a few from Blackwater creek) I'd make an excuse like it's my birthday or Christmas gift to myself lol. I also like to know the sex of the fish because i simply like to raise the babies with different color patterns from the parents, to see how they come out. I dont have a lot of fish so i know all of my fish.
In some sense, worrying about the money is silly. Even though I did the pond myself, I've so far put over $5K into it if you include the landscaping. I spent $40 on a lotus plant. Why not have some $50 goldfish that I really enjoy.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Did you see the Jikin? Normal body shape but with interesting tail like a tutu. I'm not into big heads and stuff too, they are pretty but not my thing :)

Yes, I did see them...not a bad looking fish...but, the ones that looked like they were out of an old Star Trek show made me forget about those ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In some sense, worrying about the money is silly. Even though I did the pond myself, I've so far put over $5K into it if you include the landscaping. I spent $40 on a lotus plant. Why not have some $50 goldfish that I really enjoy.
lol. exactly. I spent so much money on plants around the pond too :) I'm now trying to buy seeds instead so to save money and get more variate and make sure the flowers are not spray with chemical to kill the bees.

To get to one of your question as how different the fish from the store or the expensive online ones.. the online we can choose which farm we get the fish from and we can read up on their treatment of fish. I feel that the fish from raingarden are more confirm to the specific of the type of fish and seem to be healthier when i received them than when i got fish from the store. Most of the time i see fish at store they are sad, have clamp fins, have difficulty swimming, or swimming with other dead fish around... just too risky to bring them to my pond even though i do have indoor tank to hold them or quarantine them but I just don't want the risk.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, I did see them...not a bad looking fish...but, the ones that looked like they were out of an old Star Trek show made me forget about those ones.
lol. They do have a lot of those fancies and even though they are not my type of fish, they are sure pretty!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
oh! that's great. How are they faring in the cold? Where did you get them? do you have any picture? do you think they are slower or about the same as watonai?

I have one watonai from the rain garden. Zhao's jinkins are bigger. They became part of the pond very quickly. More active than many of my fish and very pretty.

I'll take pictures this weekend it will be warmer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Those of you that are buying these $50-100 goldfish... Do you really feel they are better than what you can find patiently scouting your local pond stores? In my case, I'm talking about "normal" shaped fish (comets, shubunkins). I'm also not interested in fish with extra fins or strangely shaped body parts.

Yes absolutely healthier. Black water creek, dandy oranda are worth the additional money. The fish are much healthier. The color selection is better. I can't find those triple colored comets from dandy oranda or blackwater creek anywhere else.

Having said that I understand being afraid of paying for fish in a pond where there is danger in losing it. I net my pond for that reason.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I net against herons, other than that critters have access. We are in their flight path, without the anti heron netting they would wipe out my pond. They landed everyday for almost two years until I did the wide weave high hung net. That finally stopped them. They still fly over every day, morning and evening.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I can understand about paying higher than average prices for a fish.

I watched a documentary the other day about arowanas.
The price paid for some of those fish are astronomical, but the fish obviously gave the owners a lot of pleasure and peace.
I kind of envied their enjoyment of a singular species.
My fish are one part of an overall ecosystem, which I enjoy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've only paid extra for one of my four koi, the others are from a local fish hatchery. I wanted a certain kind of koi and I'd do it again, if I had the room.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I said I'm not going to add any more fish to my pond even though I have the room now, cause I'm too afraid of losing these 12 that I have, due to over croweding .....but you guys are making it very hard to resist temptation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Here are the two jinkins from zhao.

The watanoi from the rain garden is there but it's young imo. I don't know the age of each.

Some of the Fish are eating today

Picture 4 shows the two jinkins with a bubble eye in between with a celestial to the other side of the picture.

Picture 9 shows the huge comet and koi. Next to them you will see jinkin and near by on the other side is the watanai and the celestial.

The next to last picture shows a big comet and across from it is a jinkin and near it is a watanai.

The watanai from the rain garden is of similar color to the jinkin... on purpose I like that pattern... yellow head white body and red highlights.

Attachments

• IMG_7223.JPG
    IMG_7223.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7224.JPG
    IMG_7224.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7225.JPG
    IMG_7225.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7226.JPG
    IMG_7226.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7227.JPG
    IMG_7227.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7228.JPG
    IMG_7228.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7229.JPG
    IMG_7229.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7230.JPG
    IMG_7230.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_7231.JPG
    IMG_7231.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7232.JPG
    IMG_7232.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7233.JPG
    IMG_7233.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_7234.JPG
    IMG_7234.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7235.JPG
    IMG_7235.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 152

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rainwater also has a profile on them. If you're wondering about breeding, I would think [not know] that after a while, unless you kept them separate, all the GF will interbreed and eventually you're back to the basic GF type. But then, you could come up with some interesting gene combinations! They are pretty! Where is this place located?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Zhao set his stuff up in Georgia I believe. The Nankin he has are pretty but I try not to go that high for a fish.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those of you that are buying these $50-100 goldfish... Do you really feel they are better than what you can find patiently scouting your local pond stores? In my case, I'm talking about "normal" shaped fish (comets, shubunkins). I'm also not interested in fish with extra fins or strangely shaped body parts.
It depends on what you are looking for in a fish. I would like to think that these more pricy fish are healthier, with better genetics, but who can really say for sure. I like a type of GF called a Watonai, which has the body type of a comet, but with a pretty double tail -- not a fish you can find in the local pet stores, so you have to buy from a breeder. It's a very hardy "pond" fish, but just not a lot of them out there.

Ask a Question