Jim from Colorado Springs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My name is Jim Gagnepain, and I'm from Colorado Springs. I am married, and a father of 2. My wife and I started building a zero-energy, bermed earth home in April of 2011. We got our Occupancy Permit in January of 2012. We love living on our home, comfortably situated on 11 acres, on the prarie. The passive solar designs affords beautiful views of the wildlife - rabbits, quail, other birds, hawks, owls, and an occassional fox. My wife also raises chickens, currently she has about 50 of them - all different varieties.
HallSittingArea_TileBrick_Redux.jpg

The views are incredible, with the Sangre de Cristo mountains and the Spanish Peaks, visible in the distance. Because our home faces South, one cannot see Pikes Peak from the home, but no big deal, because it looms to the West, anytime one goes outside.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Awesome place -- would love to see more pictures! Would also like to see pix of the building process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome from Plymouth in the UK Jim you'll find a multi national bunch on GPF, we love photo's the more the merrier :)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Jim, and thanks for the info about yourself and your family! Yes, Dave is right, we all love photos. Zero energy berm home sounds VERY interesting. Would love to see outside photos, too.
Also, do you have a pond, or are you planning to build one, or just interested in ponds in general, maybe! Doesn't really matter, we like everyone on this Forum. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
HouseGarageShades_Redux.jpg
Welcome, Jim, and thanks for the info about yourself and your family! Yes, Dave is right, we all love photos. Zero energy berm home sounds VERY interesting. Would love to see outside photos, too.
Also, do you have a pond, or are you planning to build one, or just interested in ponds in general, maybe! Doesn't really matter, we like everyone on this Forum. :)

Here's an outdoor pic. Notice the wind turbine in the background. There are also solar PV panels. It was a hot day, so the shades are drawn. With the berming, it stays very cool inside, if the shades are down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome You could have a great system there for a hydroponic farm using fish as the source of nutrients

Ask a Question