Joey Tomocik

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Hi there,

I am new to ponds and am learning about water lilies etc. Over the past 4 years I have purchased several hardy water lilies. They have all done really well, to the point that I've recently needed to divide and repot many of them. They flower beautifully!

Here's the problem.....I have bought 2 Joey Tomocik lilies over two years from two different suppliers, and neither one of them has bloomed after I've gotten them home. Can anyone weigh in on this? Is Joey a particularly difficult lily to own? All my other plants (with the exception of Perry's Baby Red, which is also a dud) have flourished. I have incredible robust blooms on Texas Dawn, Pink Grapefruit, Mayla, Almost Black, Denver, Colorado ,Clyde Ikins, etc.

I would love to have a pure yellow lily but so far that darn Joey won't bloom! At this point, I don't even know if he still exists in my ponds. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience with this lily. I'm willing to try again if I can get some advice on how to foster this plant.

Frustrated in Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a Joey Tomocik in my patio pond. When I bought it, I was told it was a dwarf variety and liked to be closer to the surface - great information from my local nursery! But it blooms beautifully in the patio pond so I keep growing it there year after year. I put it in the big pond to over winter it. Other than that, I don't do anything special for this one - fertilize in the spring and a couple more times during the season. Here's a picture of the first bloom this year:

Joey.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you really sound like you have a nice variety of lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
I have a Joey Tomocik in my patio pond. When I bought it, I was told it was a dwarf variety and liked to be closer to the surface - great information from my local nursery! But it blooms beautifully in the patio pond so I keep growing it there year after year. I put it in the big pond to over winter it. Other than that, I don't do anything special for this one - fertilize in the spring and a couple more times during the season. Here's a picture of the first bloom this year:

View attachment 114283
Oh! I’m so envious. Almost all of my lilies are in various shades of pink. I have a few changeables in peach tones and a couple of whites. I really would love to get a Joey for it’s true yellow. Maybe I will try again next year and keep it in a shallow spot.

Thanks for posting your lovely photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Joey has been FOUND!!!

I previously complained that neither one of my Joey Tomocik lilies had ever bloomed. Each time a new lily would finally produce a bud, I waited anxiously hoping that it would be the elusive Joey but all of them ended up shades of pink. There was only one great hope remaining...

One pot never produced any buds since I bought it in May of 2016. After trying it in various locations, I finally got fed up with it this year and removed it from its pot and plunked it down into the muck in a deep part of the pond. It took a while for the leaves to come up to the surface but at least I knew it was living. Then in August I was surprised and delighted to spy a bud. Then, weeks went by and the bud took forever to rise to the surface. Our weather has been unusually cold this September so the poor thing has refused to open. Today, I finally decided to cut it and bring it in, just to pry open the leaves and see if it could be the elusive Joey and sure enough.....

The colour is more vibrant than the photo displays. I hope that next year I will have several blooms. Happy, happy me.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpeg
    IMG_0778.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 160

Ask a Question