Joining 2 pond liners

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two 20x30 14m thick pond liners, the thought was have 2 side by side ponds, but now I am thinking of linking them together like a channel between them
I need to know if adhesive will seal the two linerss. I can get silicon at Lowes or Home Depot that will work, just not sure if this is ok for the fish.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Silicone won’t work.....if it is epdm, check out stickied thread seaming epdm liners In pond construction forum. It will give you an in depth description of materials needed and how to do it.

14 mil is on the thin side...I wouldn’t cheap out in the liner as they can go bad very fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It can be done, it all depends on the material your liners are made of. You can't just use a tube of silicone. Assuming you are using EPDM liners, you'll need the proper seam tape and adhesive. The liners have to be cleaned thoroughly (a solvent like alcohol can be used). They need to be overlapped by the suggested amount, adhesive applied, seam taped, a roller used with even pressure, flipped over, then adhesive (if the overlap wasn't fully covered), seam taped and roller again. Basically a double seam. You need to be careful as not to have any creases or stretching.
If it's not EPDM, you'll have to research that particular product. If the seaming products are not compatible with your liners, there will likely be failure.

I personally would not chance it, but that's me. The way I look at it is the fact that a liner is the very base of your project. Everything is built up from there. Plants, stones, waterfalls, fish, etc. If your liner fails, not only is it very difficult to locate a leak, but if you have to replace the liner, you will need to tear everything out.

Try and replace a liner in the dead of a Pennsylvania Winter. I experienced that. I had to add 300 gallons every week until Spring came. Not fun...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, good information, It's still in the packing so I will look to see what type of material is used in construction. If it fails to seal then going back to the two pond side by side plan would still work

Ask a Question