Joining PVC/Mesh liner with 45mil EPDM?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Man, it has been awhile and Im glad to see this site still up! Hope everyone is doing well and its time for me to "Upgrade" my back yard pond. It is a very small pond at around 300 gallons give or take with 3 preformed liners, a half barrel spillway, collecting pool spillway and a lower pond liner.
Back Yard Pond 1st attempt.jpg

While it is a nice little pond and easy to maintain, It looks very small and out of place in my yard so Im upgrading to around a 1,000 gallon pond. You can see how small the pond looks in the pic below in between the tree and edge of the house along the fence.
Backyard.jpg

My obstacle is that I have a spare 13'x20' PVC with nylon mesh liner that is brand new as well as a 10'x15' 45mil EPDM liner that is also brand new and me trying to save money, I would like to know if the liner seam tape would work on both materials? I know one side of the tape goes on one liner and then the other overlaps the other side of the tape so they are stacked. Please let me know if any of you fellow ponders have done this with success? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome back @Jason ! Your pond looks great!

Here's my advice to you re: liner - if you need to cut costs on ANY part of a pond build, don't skimp on the liner. I don't know if those two materials would work together, but PVC is inferior to EPDM in every way. The last thing you need is for that half of your pond to require new liner while the other half is still in good shape. People say you can get 20 - 25 years out of EPDM. You'll never get that from a PVC liner. And guess what's more expensive than doing it right the first time? Re-doing the whole thing in a few years time. Do you really want to have to pull the whole pond out to replace the liner? Stick to the budget on something that's easy to replace or something that you don't need right away and can add later. Or boost the budget by a few hundred bucks and get good liner. Use your EPDM piece and build a stream or a bog. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

And one more unsolicited suggestion - you have room for more than 1000 gallons. Go for it! Most people re-build three times before they are happy with the size of their pond. Just skip the second pond and go straight to the third! You'll thank me later!

I'll mind my own business now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I have PVC, and EPDM, I found that the seam tape used for each is the same stuff. I also sealed the seams with NP1. Np1 is a urethane sealant used on roofs. It has very good adhesive qualities, and remains flexible when set.
You can also use urethane windshield sealer, it behaves pretty much the same as NP1. But it's more expensive,
NP1 can be had at Lowes, and the windshield urethane is sold at most auto parts stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I once seamed two PVC liners with seam tape with its associated cleaner and glue. I overlapped it and taped it on both sides. It failed that winter and it was a total nightmare. I followed the instructions carefully and I know I did it correctly. When the weather got warmer, I had to dismantle the whole pond. That PVC liner was stiff and brittle in that short period of time.
So, my suggestion is stay far away from PVC liners and don't chance trying to join two liners. EPDM is the way to go.
Another suggestion... if you had two liners, make two ponds with a river or pipe joining them. So, in this case, use the EPDM liner you already have and just buy another one for the second pond section.
My 2 cents.

Ask a Question