TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Hello again all, so my local pond store is shutting down the outside area for the winter my mom ( the only one who can bear the prices ) got off work early, soooooo it equaled the perfect combo to make a trip into the skecthy side of town for the pond store. I picked up 2 giant 7- 8 inch ( including tails ) goldfish and a water lilly. First of all, great lords of GPF forgve me for spending $70 on two golfish, but secondly when I put the water lilly in the golfish quarentine pond, its leave aresorta sinking, is this normal at first, like they wont float at the top the go acouple inches below. Attached are some pics of my im - building - a - pond - and - I need - to -house -fish - and - plants setup :)

IMG_1070 (1).jpg

The goldfish in a bag, just a huuuuuge bag

IMG_1072.jpg

Another goldfish in a bag shot, yup, I got a shubunkin, all of @addy1 's shubunkins got me wanting one

IMG_1076 (1).jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

Measuring them, yes I got my hands wet and everything, the comet is 8 inches including tail, 6 withought, he shubunkin is 7 inches including tail, also 6 withought.

IMG_1080.jpg

The setup, 160 gallon stock tank and 30 gallon goldfish quarantine

IMG_1082.jpg

Added a net to the top so they couldn't jump out, and in this picture you can see how the lillies are not really floating, I tried to disperse them but they just come back to the middle like that.

Thanks for reading!
-me :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Water lily pads will grow to the top of water level, within reason. They were probably in a shallower depth. Ordinarily I would say to give them time, but with the seasons changing, not positive they will continue to grow. Is it a hardy or a tropical?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’ll want a filter in that quarantine bin. 6-7 inches times two in a 30 gallon will quickly dirty up water.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Water lily pads will grow to the top of water level, within reason. They were probably in a shallower depth. Ordinarily I would say to give them time, but with the seasons changing, not positive they will continue to grow. Is it a hardy or a tropical?
it is hardy, I wouldnt pay for a plant that would just die within a few weeks.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You’ll want a filter in that quarantine bin. 6-7 inches times two in a 30 gallon will quickly dirty up water.
I do have an airstone running, and tomorrow I'm gonna transfer some of the bio media from the stock tank pond into it, couldn't find my small spare pump today, so will set ti up tommorow:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Test your water frequently. Two fish that size should be in about 60+ gallons or more ideally. Top off with pond water if you can, but pour what you change out from there into your mom’s plants. I’ve done goldfish in 30 gallons before, they’ll muck up water quick, and watch when you feed so after a few min, you can remove what’s not eaten.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Test your water frequently. Two fish that size should be in about 60+ gallons or more ideally. Top off with pond water if you can, but pour what you change out from there into your mom’s plants. I’ve done goldfish in 30 gallons before, they’ll muck up water quick, and watch when you feed so after a few min, you can remove what’s not eaten.
If really needed I have plenty of other. Spots for them, Iv got a 40 gallon, just would have to support it cause it is a rigid pond liner, and I also have an a aquarium canister filter for 40 gallons if that would help :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
While I agree with @JamieB that you want to do the best you can for any fish you bring home, I can also tell you that we had a goldfish that lived in about 3 gallons of water in a bowl on our kitchen counter when I was a kid. That thing lived for YEARS. We'd dump the water out when it got dirty and refill if from the kitchen tap. They're tough fish.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
While I agree with @JamieB that you want to do the best you can for any fish you bring home, I can also tell you that we had a goldfish that lived in about 3 gallons of water in a bowl on our kitchen counter when I was a kid. That thing lived for YEARS. We'd dump the water out when it got dirty and refill if from the kitchen tap. They're tough fish.
so you would think its not worth it to re-set up the whole thing for two weeks? I haven't yet, cause I just realized I got the depth of my current excavation in my big pond wrong, and need it ready for the two foot section tomorrow.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Nope. No advice at all. Just sharing an anecdote about how tough goldfish can be.
tha answers it for me :) those goldfish can be a bit bored for a couple weeks, then they get to go into an ?1800? gallon pond and be the happiest goldfish I have ever owned.

Ask a Question