Jumping Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Two of my biggest koi occasionally have been jumping out of the water. They will do it 3 or 4 times in a row. I have read it can be a bad thing, poor water quality, parasites. They all seem healthy and active. Should I worry?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you tested your water .What are you feeding them .Colder temps mean cold water food .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, Koi don't jump for exercise or to show off for the lady koi. Could be lack of O2 in the water (make sure your aerator is running), or they might have a parasite. Something in the water is bothering them. Are you using a copper ion algae treatment anode? If so, turn it off. Stop feeding them.

Something is bothering their gills. Check your water parameters. Net a couple of them and have a look at them.

Don't just throw medications into the pond hoping to solve "whatever". It'll just cost you money and you'll never know whether it did any good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Have you tested your water .What are you feeding them .Colder temps mean cold water food .
I need to get a test kit. First year with koi pond. Could it have anything to do with changes in water temperature? Daytime highs have been in the low 50s for weeks and the last 5 days or so in the 70s. They only seem to jump when the outside temp is warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I need to get a test kit. First year with koi pond. Could it have anything to do with changes in water temperature? Daytime highs have been in the low 50s for weeks and the last 5 days or so in the 70s. They only seem to jump when the outside temp is warm.
And its only the 3 that eat out of my hand that are jumping. Have 11 koi, four 4" shubunkins and about 20 baby fish, that I think are shubunkins that were hatched in July.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Marie koi occaisonally jump sadly we had two jump clear of the pond this year , no parasites water perameters where fine , sometimes they just jump be it for a fly or to check out the area perhaps .
Weve been koi keeping for 29 years our oldest koi is 29 weve been around the block once or twice with koi health issues.
Learn to read your koi , they will tell you if they have parasites in one way or another buy a few books on koi health and read them also buy a microscope lastly an API Pond master test kit + an API Nitrate test kit which you buy seperately
This article will help it was writen with newbies in mind :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/art...or-in-the-poor-fish-health-for-the-novice.39/

May I also suggest two books out of our extensive library of books :-

Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.

The Interpet Manual of Koi Health ISBN 1842860992. Keith Holmes, Tony Pitham.

These books will serve you well Identifying and treating your koi for whtever ailment besets them .
If you check in the Articles section of the forum a mumber of GPF members including myself have written various articles on all aspects of the hobby

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Wow. 29 years old. How long is it? Never thought I could get attached to fish, lol. Love hand feeding them. Going to hate not being able to feed them all winter. How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. 29 years old. How long is it? Never thought I could get attached to fish, lol. Love hand feeding them. Going to hate not being able to feed them all winter. How big is your pond?
1,000 gallons Imperial the koi is now 26" we have around about 12 koi at the moment but let me make this promise you Marie , if you take the steps I suggested buy and read those and other books [see articles section] , then you will be in 29 years time saying the same things weve just said to you .
Koi healed me I have PTSD so I have a love affair with them , I got interested in their health issues, "then rest as they say is history". ;)

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The oldest ever koi was Japanese its name was Hanaku and it was born 25 years before the signing of American independance from the UK and lived till 1978.
Some western experts say its not but the Japanese have documments of ownership passing from generation to generation yjey also have Face .
Face as we know is important in Japan so I cant see them making things up the loss of face would be huge .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Yes, they are my relaxation. Just wish I lived in a climate where I could watch them all year round. I live on Lake Erie in NE Ohio, harsh winters. Do you hand feed any of yours? It took a lot of effort on my part to get them to eat from my hand, but well worth it. Of course my favorite is the 1st one to eat from my hand. I have 3 out of 11 koi eating from my hand. The baby shubunkins were the 1st to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Yes, I agree about the Japanese. So maybe I should add to my will who will get my Koi? lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they are my relaxation. Just wish I lived in a climate where I could watch them all year round. I live on Lake Erie in NE Ohio, harsh winters. Do you hand feed any of yours? It took a lot of effort on my part to get them to eat from my hand, but well worth it. Of course my favorite is the 1st one to eat from my hand. I have 3 out of 11 koi eating from my hand. The baby shubunkins were the 1st to do it.
Heres an article she was 226 years of age :-

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/post/226-year-old-koi-carp-hanako

Do you have a pond of 4.5-5ft in depth Marie if you get servere winters and the pond isnt deep enough you could loose your koi , you must keep a hole in the ice during a freeze so it can gas off .
Never hand fed ours we like to see them work for their food , feeding by hand if you have preditors say like a otter or raccoon may make them vunerable to attack because they will think ahh food and end up as the main course themselves .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
The pond is 4 foot at the deepest, which I read is sufficient for my area. Haven't seen any predators since we put in the pond. Raccoons seem to be the biggest problem in my area. Yard is fenced in, which might deter them. Plan on getting a "pond breather", which a lot of people recommend on this site.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is this jumping behavior occurring during certain periods of the day (or night). Koi will occasionally jump in an attempt to secure (capture) an insect. Mine do this at night.
If it were a water quality problem, most, if not all, of the Koi would be reacting the same way.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If it's happening when it's warm and it's your bigger koi doing it then I bet it's a low 02 issue. Many things an cause that issue such as an accumulation of debris,dirty filters,insufficient 2ater movement, overstocking. Are the fish hanging near the surface or closest to moving water?

Ask a Question