Just a thank you to all that offered there advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Been a busy summer. Just wanted to thank everyone here that offered their advice when I was flipping out over different things that were going on in my pond since I built it. I was told it would mature and stabilize after the second season or so. I guess it has since this will be my third winter and everything was perfect now for about a year. I have always subscribed to the less is more theory. I was in the exotic snake business for 30+ years and did pretty well raising and breeding difficult species with that theory as a guide. I have done the same here with the help of you guys talking me off the ledge a couple of times and it has seemed to be the right approach for my pond.(may not be for everyone). I don't feed my fish everyday and when I do its not much. I don't do water changes very often. I generally do one when the water darkens a bit to much. I can always see the bottom at 4ft but if it gets a little to dark I do a 10% WC. I have live plants. a lot of hyacinths so I know some leaves die and decompose all the time so that and acorns give me the tea colored water. I have 23 Koi, 75 or so minnows 6 crayfish who knows how many frogs and tadpoles and 1 small painted turtle. All doing great. I really believe it has a lot to do with the less is more theory. My fish are growing slow just the way I like it. Turtle is growing quickly. He finds his own food so I can't control his growth as much as the Koi. Water parameters are always the same. PH Is higher then I would like it but it isn't causing any issues. I haven't posted in a while(because I haven't had any problems and very busy, bad excuse I know) and just thought I would thank you all for the excellent advice. You guys made me have patience which I don't have a lot of and it all worked out. Thank you all. My pond is my favorite addition to my home. The only bummer is living in NY and watching it sleep through the winter and having zero patience for it to come alive in spring.lol

Attachments

• IMG_9089.JPG
    IMG_9089.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9091.JPG
    IMG_9091.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 135

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank for the nice write up and words. We do are best to help others with their ponds.
In the end it is always the pond owners choice as to how they take care of their pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love hearing this! So many people come here in the same state you were in - panic! - ready to throw every pond product known to man at the "problem" (or they already DID throw everything at it!) and when we say "there IS no problem. Just wait" they disappear. You were willing to listen and trust which is truly what made the difference. It can be very hard to DO NOTHING!

Pond looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Lisa
You were a big help. I kept referencing you and your pond when the Koi people kept insisting that I was in for a disaster because my pond did not have the "PONDMAX 1000 FILTER AND THE ULTRA VIOLET NUCLEAR STERILIZER". Time, plants and let nature do its job has worked out really well so far. I keep a journal of everything I do and changes I see since putting in the pond. Its interesting and funny to look back and see the problems I thought were problems and remembering the unnecessary stress it caused me. Green water, algae blooms, string algae, plants not doing well, adding bags of salt. I was going back and forth. Koi people telling me add this add that. When I decided to go to what I believe in the less is more theory and using you and your advice as a model things just started to slow down and fall in place. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Awesome!
Glad to hear your pond is doing great.
Yes, always great advice from members here.
I also believe in the "less is more" theory and will add the emphasis on all-natural methods.
Patience is the number one thing that ponders need to realize. Most of these pond related things don't happen overnight.
Let nature do it for you. It's better for you, your budget and all your pond critters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the less is more theory
My bog build was not well accepted when I did it, but to me a easy to care for pond was important. I ignored all the, that is not going to work advice, and made it. Never looked back, the main work I do in the summer is pulling the plants that grow like weeds. Never treat the water, don't fight algae, basically can turn the pond and ignore it all summer.

The only thing I do is add water, automatically lol.

Perfect pond for me. I would hate to need to clean filters on a schedule.

Ask a Question