Just bought a house with a pond in NJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I am glad I found this site. I am totally new to the pond world. Spring has started and I just bought a house last week and it has a pond with 1 Koi in it and at lease 7 gold fish and 2 black fish. I have no idea what to do I need help. The previous owner said once it starts to warm and the fish look at you and open their mouths start feeing them and put the filter in???? He left a filter and fall and spring food but have no idea what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction I don't want the fish to die!
Thank you!!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Posting of pictures would be helpful, both of the pond and the existing filtration. Also the dimensions (ie. length, width, average depth, geographical location), current pump size, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will post pictures later today as I am not living in the house yet. Thank you for your response.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome and congrats on the new home and pond. I agree with the above, pictures and more info would help. I would not feed them just yet.

Sorry you responded while I was typing, looking forward to the pictures

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! And don't worry too much about the fish - they're very hardy and will wait patiently while you figure things out! It sounds like you're in a cooler climate, so they wouldn't have started being fed yet anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures of my pond
pond.jpg
IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2503 (1).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_2513.JPG

Here is the filter the previous owner left

What do I do?????

Thank you for all help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! And don't worry too much about the fish - they're very hardy and will wait patiently while you figure things out! It sounds like you're in a cooler climate, so they wouldn't have started being fed yet anyway.
Thank you I was worried the smaller ones are looking and following me around the pond and I feel bad not feeding them but I am trying to figure it all out before I start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In one of your pictures, I see an electrical cord. Do you know what it's for?

It looks like you have an "all in one" type pressurized canister filter, but I can't be completely sure from the picture. Is there a pump already in the pond, or is it laying on the table next to your filter?

Does the pond have a skimmer?

I used to have a pump in my skimmer, that led to a similar type filter, and then back into the pond. That's the basic idea of how it works, of course, you need pvc pipes, or hose, to connect the pump to the filter.

Another good idea in the spring, is to net any accumulated debris from the pond. Don't worry about feeding them yet, I'd figure out the filter first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
I haven't seen a white liner before, what could that be made from? PVC?
You should have a pond water testing kit on hand. API makes some standard ones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In one of your pictures, I see an electrical cord. Do you know what it's for?

It looks like you have an "all in one" type pressurized canister filter, but I can't be completely sure from the picture. Is there a pump already in the pond, or is it laying on the table next to your filter?

Does the pond have a skimmer?

I used to have a pump in my skimmer, that led to a similar type filter, and then back into the pond. That's the basic idea of how it works, of course, you need pvc pipes, or hose, to connect the pump to the filter.

Another good idea in the spring, is to net any accumulated debris from the pond. Don't worry about feeding them yet, I'd figure out the filter first.

The electrical cord is from the heating floating rock should that ne taken out now?
I have no idea what this filter is or does or how to put it in the pond. I think there is a pump or motor that goes in the water and the canister stays out of it. Where can I read up on this stuff so I can get my filter in right. I do have many hoses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
I haven't seen a white liner before, what could that be made from? PVC?
You should have a pond water testing kit on hand. API makes some standard ones.

The old owner took down a pool and used that as the pond liner

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

If the white is part of the pond liner, looks like it could use some water. If you are on city water make sure you use a dechlorinator.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can use that liner while you're planning on replacing it. Get rid of that liner, it won't last.

Get yourself a cheapie kiddie pool and fill it with the pond water. Transfer the fish and any submerged rock that you find into the kiddie pool. Stick an aerator in the kiddie pool while you complete the new step.

Tear that liner out and replace it with a 45mil EPDM Firestone Liner.

Top up the pond with tap water (as Addy says, make sure that you dose the water with de-chlorinator).

Transfer the fish and any submerged rock you found, and the kiddie pool pond water back into the newly re-lined pond.

It looks to me (from the small pictures that you posted) that you have a submersible pump with an inlet pre-filter. That pump moves water from the pond bottom to what appears to be a canister filter (post some bigger pictures of the equipment). The tubing is connected to the outflow from the pump to the inflow of the canister filter (there are most likely arrows denoting the flow direction), the water passes through the canister filter and then back into the pond.

This looks to be a pretty simple set-up that shouldn't pose that much of a problem to deal with. If you're stuck or freaked out, look up the manufacturer of that particular canister filter and YouTube! or Google it. You'll find something.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Winston Churchill

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Depending on where you're located, the floating heat device, can be removed......as it's used token your pond forcing over in the winter.

I agree with above advice, look up the manufacturer of the filter, there should be some good information.

Ask a Question