Just bought a house with a pond in NJ

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DPLizzymom4, Mar 25, 2016.

1. DPLizzymom4

DPLizzymom4

Thanks! I am going to try and clean some on the leaves and such out of the water this weekend and add some more water too any De chlorinator will do for ponds i guess will do?
    As it says in my heading I am in New Jersey so the weather is starting to warm up and I am noticing the fish getting more active and swimming around. I have been trying to do some research and the advise here has been great I have also been watching some u tubes. What about a UV light when I set up my filter? I didn't see one with the stuff the last owner left do I need to buy one. And it looks like the pump doesn't have the straight line to make a fountain so I am going to have to buy another I suppose? Looks like a great hobby and I am excited to be starting this.

DPLizzymom4, Mar 26, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. DPLizzymom4

Tula

Is your pump designed for a fountain, or was it used to pump water to the filter?

Tula, Mar 26, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. DPLizzymom4

DPLizzymom4

The picture of the pump showed a fountain but no tubing for that fountain.

DPLizzymom4, Mar 26, 2016
  4. DPLizzymom4

Tula

Well, maybe it could be used to pump water to your filter, if it's the right GPH for it. That would be very good news :)

Tula, Mar 26, 2016
  5. DPLizzymom4

CometKeith

Good luck with your pond. I figured I would throw in some unsolicited advise so here goes:
    Typically when the pond water looks good to you then it can be unhealthy for your fish.
    When a pond is dirty and full of algae actually the water quality can be excellent.
    All the chemicals they sell in stores are totally useless if you know how to maintain a pond and know what you are doing.
    So keep these rules in mind and good luck!

CometKeith, Mar 26, 2016
    Tula, addy1 and MitchM like this.
  6. DPLizzymom4

barryian

I've used StressCoat for many years but there are many less expensive ones. Also, whatever your pond size, for ex: 2000 gal, used the amount called for in 2000 gal on the instructions, not just the amount of water being changed ...

barryian, Mar 27, 2016
  7. DPLizzymom4

Becky Administrator

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum (y)

Becky, Mar 29, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question