Just broke ground on my 10x10x2 pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just started digging my new pond and like most newbies, I have tons of questions. The more I read, the more confused I become. Here are my questions.

1. What shape should be bottom be? flat or round?
2. Do I need to put a drain in the bottom before liner goes in?
3. Do I need a pump, filter, aerator and skimmer?
4. What are the electrical requirements?
5. How much should I spend on equipment to properly have a waterfall and clean pond for goldfish?
6. How soon can I introduce fish?
7. How high should my waterfall be?
8. Do I need to reinforce my sides?

Any help would be appreciated

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have so much room! If it were me I'd go bigger and deeper as when I started w/my first one it wasn't long before I had to make a bigger one.
I like having a short shelf down from the top maybe about 6" or so, just depends on what size rocks you put on it, then I topped the outer edge above that w/other various rocks. This all hides the liner from being seen making it look more natural.
I have no bottom drain and I have just goldfish/Shubunkins.
I use a pump, filters and aeration. I use Laguna brand pump as it is low power usage and it is submersible. There are others that are good also and external ones too.
I would make sure to use a grounded electrical outlet handy near your pond. My hubby did all that for me running it underground.
To clean mine I have a long handled net used to skim the bottom and lift out any major gunk that accumulates. Other than that the filters clean the water.
Your liner and pump and aerator will be the most expensive items and possible your filter depending on if you want to DIY or buy one. I just use a prefilter and a pond edge pot filter in mine.
Your pond will take several wks to balance itself out into a good safe home for your fish. So don't just add water and put in fish right away. Get some plants going in there too.
My water fall sits about 3 ft high and the higher you build the more power from the pump you will need to get good flow.
No need to reinforce sides unless you plan on having part of your pond above ground. My sides are slightly slanted and has the short shelf for the rocks and then another shelf down about 18" from top edge for plants. My pond is about 3ft or so deep.
IMG_8600.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking good! I concur with @j.w that going bigger with the amount of room you have. Obviously this adds to cost somewhat as it means more liner, maybe a larger pump, etc. Assuming you are in Syracuse, NY based on your name? If yes, you need to go 3-4’ deep for fish, the deeper the better for them to survive the cold winters you get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I agree with the above posts. As far as your question on the shape of the bottom of the pond is concerned, flat is the way to go. Pond liner is very slippery so when you go in the pond flat gives you a fighting chance of staying upright.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have so much room! If it were me I'd go bigger and deeper as when I started w/my first one it wasn't long before I had to make a bigger one.
I like having a short shelf down from the top maybe about 6" or so, just depends on what size rocks you put on it, then I topped the outer edge above that w/other various rocks. This all hides the liner from being seen making it look more natural.
I have no bottom drain and I have just goldfish/Shubunkins.
I use a pump, filters and aeration. I use Laguna brand pump as it is low power usage and it is submersible. There are others that are good also and external ones too.
I would make sure to use a grounded electrical outlet handy near your pond. My hubby did all that for me running it underground.
To clean mine I have a long handled net used to skim the bottom and lift out any major gunk that accumulates. Other than that the filters clean the water.
Your liner and pump and aerator will be the most expensive items and possible your filter depending on if you want to DIY or buy one. I just use a prefilter and a pond edge pot filter in mine.
Your pond will take several wks to balance itself out into a good safe home for your fish. So don't just add water and put in fish right away. Get some plants going in there too.
My water fall sits about 3 ft high and the higher you build the more power from the pump you will need to get good flow.
No need to reinforce sides unless you plan on having part of your pond above ground. My sides are slightly slanted and has the short shelf for the rocks and then another shelf down about 18" from top edge for plants. My pond is about 3ft or so deep.
View attachment 121058
Since posting my pic, many have told me to go deeper so I will go to 3 ft for my pond. I may expand and add a shelf too. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, go deeper. If you are in an area that freezes, you will have to go deeper. By your name you might live in Syracuse. If that's NY, then go At least 3 feet.
I'm in the Poconos, in PA. Our weather is probably similar. The deepest part of mine is 3 feet. I probably get about 10" of ice. I have some large koi in there. Some over 2 feet long.
As far as equipment and building the pond, keep reading here. There's so much information to read up on.
I suggest 45 mil EPDM liner with underlayment. Stay away from the cheaper PVC liners. Don't be tempted by their lower cost. They tear and puncture real easy and are severely affected by the sun.
I don't have a bottom drain.
Some people have a bog as a filter. Read up on that. It keeps your water crystal clear and it's another place to grow plants.
It's nice to form a shelf around the perimeter where you can sit your potted plants. There are also many floating plants that you just throw in there. Plants help keep the water clear.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, go deeper. If you are in an area that freezes, you will have to go deeper. By your name you might live in Syracuse. If that's NY, then go At least 3 feet.
I'm in the Poconos, in PA. Our weather is probably similar. The deepest part of mine is 3 feet. I probably get about 10" of ice. I have some large koi in there. Some over 2 feet long.
As far as equipment and building the pond, keep reading here. There's so much information to read up on.
I suggest 45 mil EPDM liner with underlayment. Stay away from the cheaper PVC liners. Don't be tempted by their lower cost. They tear and puncture real easy and are severely affected by the sun.
I don't have a bottom drain.
Some people have a bog as a filter. Read up on that. It keeps your water crystal clear and it's another place to grow plants.
It's nice to form a shelf around the perimeter where you can sit your potted plants. There are also many floating plants that you just throw in there. Plants help keep the water clear.
Thanks for your response. I dug it down deeper so its closer to 3-4 feet now. I did some reading on the bog filters and they look nice. So much to learn....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, perfect. And if you want a plant shelf, add that in front of the shelf you are showing. Essentially two shelves. One for plants, one for support of your flat stone.
The berm is a great idea. It prevents contaminants from washing into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, that’s one way if you want flat rock around the edge. Or you can use larger rocks that are 2/3 in the water 1/3 out and fold the liner behind the top of the rock and backfill with dirt. And do consider shelves for plants. Or you can tuck plants between your rocks on the top shelf if you make it wide enough.

Ask a Question