sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and not sure about those rocks the look very unwelcoming with all those sharp points .Can i ask what you have on the bottom because it looks like lava rock and if you are planning on fish that could be rough on there bodies .Sorry to bring up these points .I don't want to offend you in any way .I would also worry about one of those rocks falling in and putting a hole in your liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
Canada
I know . They were big slabs from my friends fireplace mantle and I smashed them up. I can't afford rocks. Is there anyway I can make them work?
Thanks for all your input

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
Canada
I don't know what the rocks are called In the bottom of the pond. I found them in my boyfriends garden.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is your pond in the ground ,if it is I would just put 1 layer of rocks around the pond with the flatest side facing the pond and also like said plants ,but seeing you are in Canada i would guess it is the end of the season for plants for you .Do you have neighbors you could get to divide some of there hardy plants and spread your rocks out and put them so there side goes together like a puzzle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
Canada
Yes it is in the ground. Thanks for the pointers. I'm just at the grocery store and going to play some more as soon as I get back!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think you could use the rocks if the pond were at ground level. I think a single layer could work as a border.

What's your intention with this pond? Do you plan for fish? Then the lava rock won't work in the bottom - too sharp. Plants around the pond would definitely help.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
Canada
I'm not getting fish because we have an outdoor cat and I don't trust her.
I will continue to play and see what I can come up with.
Thank you again for all your help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Kate I would also try keeping the rocks in more of a single layer. Piecing them together like a puzzle as Sissy suggested. You might also try collecting some rocks from other sources. Rocks are everywhere you just have to go find them. :) Creeks, Fields, Rural roads to name a few. Just keep a look out and start picking them up if you run across them. Add them as you find them. And a few plants around the edges will also help. And enjoy your little pond. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You really need to add a bit of soil to the rocks then plant out alpines they eventually will form a pleasing vista of rock and plant.
By the way 100 marks for recycling the mantle rocks
As to having cats:LOL:Kate we have three whilst they like to lounge near the pond , they do not go into hunting our koi .
About the only things you need fear are snakes and raccoons.:(

Dave

Ask a Question