Just finished....

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have been reading on the forums here for the last week or so and decided to build an above ground using some landscape timbers. I received the liner a couple of days ago and got it in the box today and filled with water....it is 8 feet by 38 inches, 2 feet deep.....about 380 gallons.

I used a little sand in the bottom and lined the box with carpet padding before the liner went in.

I am looking for suggestions on plants.....affordable, this was all done so far for about 100 dollars. I already had most of the materials, liner from ebay was $84 shipped. I will cover the corners soon and build a seat around the top (2x8's or something).

Also, can I get suggestions on filtration? Brands some of you have used? All in one or external can type? I have 2 aquariums so I do understand a little about fishkeeping and water quality......I have a 55 gallon African Cichlid (Mbuna) show tank and a 37 gallon community tank.

I mistakenly put 3 Lace catfish in the 37 gallon and they are getting big fast. They may be the first residents of the outdoor tank, along with some Red Ear Sliders that are outgrowing their indoor home.

Thanks in advance for any advice I get.......

Attachments

• HPIM2196.jpg
    HPIM2196.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 334
Reaction score
well i would not do a all in one or in-pond filter. they just don't work. You would need a pump that does about 400GPH and use maybe 1in or so flex line to the filter then back in to the pond with either a water fall or just flows back in. the pump needs to be on one side of the pond and the return on the other side. i have some red ear sliders as well and will be interested to see how they do out there. my main concern was that they would try to dig thru the liner. i know they try in my 75GL aquarium, try to dig thru the glass. lol. i would build your own filter if your wanting to save money or a pressure filter would work if you want to buy one. there are a lot of DIY filters on this site just look around.

Reaction score
Thanks....my research is definitely leading me in the direction of buying a pump and then making my filter of maybe a 5 gallon bucket. However, I did order for now a Pondmaster all in one that they rate at 700 gph. I got a little impatient. It will be in tomorrow.

I put a water lily on one side and will try to grow some umbrella palm on the other. I also got some plants today to plant all the way around the box....pond? I find it hard to call it pond......seems like a "waterbox" or something to me. Still, fish in a couple of weeks as long as the water is not getting too hot. So far, not much fluctuation from morning to night....holding between 78 and 80. Days are right now around 90 and climbing. I will keep checking. Might have to make more shade...

As for the turtles, I did not think about them tearing the liner.....might have to rethink that. They are still really small for now but growing fast.

Reaction score
That is the one negative of a fully above ground pond--in the winter they can fully ice over and in the summer they can boil because part of them is not in the ground. If I were you, I would definitely put some kinda shade sail over the pond to try to keep sun directly off of it. If you are experiencing 80 degree water already and it's only May, imagine what the water temp will be like in July/August?

Usually, when going with an above ground pond, folks will line the inside with those pink insulation panels bought at Home Depot/Lowes. This helps hold the temps a bit, but in the end an above ground pond is harder to keep temps regulated throughout the seasons.

Ask a Question