Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Already made my wish list
I want Anacharis, Vallisneria, and they have Lemon yellow goldfish.
The shipping would kill me if I order all of what I want.
But its good to have a wish list.
Tricker's is in Ohio though, I could do a 5 hour round trip road trip. But I dont see that happening either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Catalogs=open your wallet(or purse). It's the self induced poison we all love...

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If goldfish reproduce like rabbits, why are yellow ones so rare?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like a niche market to me! Buy a few dozen, breed them, raise up in a different pond, and sell the yellow ones to others! The hard part would be culling out or rehoming the non yellow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
for the most part, to date, the yellow ones aren't a strong color but more pale. Almost bought one, once. The pond place near me had some––had them on clearance as he said no one was buying them. Sort of says it all, you know?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wonder if you could feed them stuff to enhance the yellow. Excess carrots will cause humans to get an orange tint.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My guess is the "yellow" won't stay yellow, but who knows! And, as far as plants, you buy just one plant of anarachis and you may have more than you want within a year or two! Do you know anyone close that has that? If so, ask for a start. That's how I got my first start, and that was 2 years ago ... it's to the point of having to yank out the excess now, but it's GREAT for spawning fish. Need to see if I can get some started in the koi pond, maybe have some babies in that pond again. The koi are more likely to munch on the plants, though. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I thought the fish would eat it. I may try some. Regardless, I’d keep some for the aquarium to grow inside just in case they do eat it all in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think goldfish leave it alone for the most part, but koi may chew on it. I have it in my goldfish pond and I have a LOT of goldfish in there, and they have not touched it that I can tell.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My guess is the "yellow" won't stay yellow, but who knows! And, as far as plants, you buy just one plant of anarachis and you may have more than you want within a year or two! Do you know anyone close that has that? If so, ask for a start. That's how I got my first start, and that was 2 years ago ... it's to the point of having to yank out the excess now, but it's GREAT for spawning fish. Need to see if I can get some started in the koi pond, maybe have some babies in that pond again. The koi are more likely to munch on the plants, though. :)
i need to find the nearest member to me and make a fieldtrip. Maybe we could trade stuff

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Check craigslist. In the middle of summer, lots of people are giving it away. I got my yellow water lilies for $5. The guy gave me three real nice tubers and even a pot to plant them in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with the Craigslist suggestion. We get lotus tubers for $5 from a lady we found advertising on CL and she always gives us extras. You could also post that you are looking for pond plants - be proactive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
@Lisak1 have you had luck with lotus tubers? I've heard they are very delicate to start from tuber. I found some lotus in a lake and pulled a tuber, another one found tuber floating from a boat stirring them up and yanking a couple out. Both plants are growing, but neither have ever bloomed, and it's been 3 years for one and 4 for the other. Maybe this year one will bloom ...

Ask a Question