Just got over a massive alege infestation....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Now I'm seeing this about a week later:

20140530_200018_zps268e954e.jpg

Should I be worried?

Here is what I'm using in the water:

1 12oz PondBiotixSP http://www.pondalgaesolutions.com/pond-biotix-sp.html One time treatment for new water
Small Pond 2500gallon Dispenser System http://www.pondalgaesolutions.com/2500-2500-dispenser-system.html Monthly

Is this enough? I also found a red coating on the waterfall rocks. easy enough to scrape off.

If this is normal I won't worry.

Small video of entire pond:

[video=youtube;YjVWJkxY35c]

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't use any chemicals for my algae. Your mechanical filter should take care of that for you.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I dont think these are chemicals. Its just beneficial bacteria according to the website.
- We've had a lot of discussions and threads on this forum where we've concluded that beneficial bacteria cannot be sold in a bottle/bucket. Maybe Charles or WB or another poster can chime in if they see this.
- But funny enough, I'm using a sludge buster now that is supposed to be bacteria.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I had a algea bloom earlier this spring, then the pond cleared. This morning I woke up to very murkey water again. We have had a very warm week here so I guess the algea is back. I have just used quilt batting and that helps to clear it. Just takes awhile. Arrrg I thought I was done with murkey water too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ok its definitely getting murkier. Not sure if this is green or brown.

I can say the skimmer defiantly has a very thick layer of green as do all the rocks.

20140607_003440_zps19359c49.jpg

Pond was filled 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

I also added some more bacteria and I read that you should turn off your UV light for 2 days to let the bacteria settle and control the algae. Is this true?

and how long before nature settles down and I get clear water again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you have any plants? They will compete with the algae for the same nutrients. Usually when my pond cycles and my plants start growing well then the algae goes way down. It can take a month or more to cycle depending on temperatures and other factors and if you clean your pond liner you are going back to zero or even less.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Do you have any plants? They will compete with the algae for the same nutrients. Usually when my pond cycles and my plants start growing well then the algae goes way down. It can take a month or more to cycle depending on temperatures and other factors and if you clean your pond liner you are going back to zero or even less.

Hi Keith,

Yes I do have 2 lilies in large pots for plenty of growth space

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you have goldfish or koi but I would add a lot more plants to compete for the nutrients. If you have koi you will have to find a way for them not to eat the plants. I like floating plants because they block the sun which cuts down on the algae also. Also they are the easiest to grow. Over time there are a lot of other plants you can add. If you have koi building a bog is the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
This is what my pond looked like at the end of May (2011), 33 days after I filled it...
IMG_5914.JPG

By October, this is what it looked like...
img_6155.jpg

The point is... don't sweat it. Every new pond will get a massive algae bloom. You can throw chemicals at it all day long, but the algae will keep coming back until the pond finds its own balance. And there's a good chance you will see string algae come up every Spring, because it starts growing before the rest of the plants do. When I got my initial algae bloom, the water stayed green for nearly a month, but once the pond found its balance, the water cleared up almost completely within a few days. Its hard to be patient, but you have to remember that a pond is a slow-moving project, sort of like planting a fruit tree. You don't expect fruit to start popping up as soon as you plant the tree, you expect to watch it grow over the next few years and eventually produce. Your pond will become your oasis in time, just not today.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
This is what my pond looked like at the end of May (2011), 33 days after I filled it...

By October, this is what it looked like...

The point is... don't sweat it. Every new pond will get a massive algae bloom. You can throw chemicals at it all day long, but the algae will keep coming back until the pond finds its own balance. And there's a good chance you will see string algae come up every Spring, because it starts growing before the rest of the plants do. When I got my initial algae bloom, the water stayed green for nearly a month, but once the pond found its balance, the water cleared up almost completely within a few days. Its hard to be patient, but you have to remember that a pond is a slow-moving project, sort of like planting a fruit tree. You don't expect fruit to start popping up as soon as you plant the tree, you expect to watch it grow over the next few years and eventually produce. Your pond will become your oasis in time, just not today.

You give me hope! :D

07cce8c2ab9072760ac64743e40a4e89.jpg

Ask a Question