just got pond established hopefully

Reaction score
hi all built a new pond which is 5ft wide 6ft in length and 4ft deep with small plant shelf 2ft deep pond is approx 660 gallon i have a green genie 6000 with 16watt uv and a hozelock cyprio 1500 pump fish include 2 2inch koi,2 shubunkin 5inch, 2 goldfish same size, 4 small 2inch orfe and a 6 inch green tench was looking at adding more fish but dont know if my filteration system would be up to it , what you guys think my water is crystal clear at moment pond is approx 10 week old thanks :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats a young pond and the filter needs time to really get going and so does the pond and with that size pond you may not want to add more .Remember your fish will have babies

Reaction score
Ok good advice but the pond jus looks so empty at moment but might leave as all water is fine no ammonia or nitrites so all happy:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep because when they start having babies you better convince a lot of people they need ponds to so you can give them free fish ,just don't smile when you say it :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not always they hide they make it .I have given lots of babies away .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey Benj post some pix of your pond and if you think your pond looks empty you can add more plants to make it look fuller :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true jw plants seem to add life to a pond beside cleaning the water .The add interest and height and bonus give fishies a place to hide

Reaction score
I'm less concerned with babies, but 11 fish, even small, into a brand new small pond is a bit of a load until all the good bacterias start doing their job. I would wait another month or so, and if all is well, and you really want a couple more, would say go for it then. I do however agree that babies are likely in your future, so be thinking about what you will do with any that manage to hide long enough to get some size to them. I know a new pond looks so naked (even with plants), but also remember your new fish have a lot of growing to do as well. Patience now will save you a lot of headaches later:)

Reaction score
BTW, your location says "Manchester" ... is that Manchester, NH? If so, your pond isnt big enough for them to survive winter (without a heater anyways), so keep in mind where you will over winter them...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah, I see w/ the screen for protection it is harder for you to put in tall plants. Still you can put in more floating ones. You could put some plants around the edge of the pond also and if you don't want to dig them in there then you can put pots around there like grasses or sedges etc. anything that you like. Would make it look more el naturel :razz:
I'm thinkin you are from the UK right?

Reaction score
Yeah Manchester England and yes I believe they will survive in winter as most of the pond is 4 ft deep and all water as I say is fine been adding a couple of fish nearly every week since water was perfect and all has been fine been keeping a check on water every few days .

Ask a Question