Just got sodium percarbonate to kill string algae...how do i use it?

MK3

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I now have a 1lb bag of 100% sodium percarbonate powder. what's the best and safest way to add it to my pond to kill the algae? I read somewhere about how it's best in liquid form? not sure if i can do that.
oh and we don't have any fish, plants only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used sodium percarbonate once and didn't care for it. I had to put it directly on I recommend using Baquacil Oxidizer for string algae.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If it isn't fed, it will die. Eliminate the nutrient source (Phosphorus). Test first to determine levels then treat with PhosOut or similar P binder.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We do use sodium percarbonate and find it to be very effective. We shut down our waterfall and remove as much algae by hand as possible. Then sprinkle the SP on the remaining algae (make sure it's still wet so the SP sticks well), wait about 20 minutes, and start things back up. If the algae is on the rocks at the edges of the pond, you can sprinkle it right into the water. The SP will create some foaming - that's normal. Within 24 hours the algae will be gone.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My preference has always been the use of non-reactive compounds over reactive compounds. The are always side-effects with reactive compounds/treatments, maybe small, but there just the same.

Reaction score
I used it last week and it cured the problem. I turned off the pump and sprinkled it on the stream bed rocks let it sit over night. I then pulled off the dead algae and gave it a second shot. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was amazed at how good it worked. I did a video for Youtube but haven't loaded it yet. My problem was so bad that it was shutting down the water flow on the stream bed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm glad to hear it worked for you. The only area we get string algae anymore is the waterfall, but it does slow the water flow and even diverts it if it gets thick enough, so we try to keep ahead of it. We've found we have to treat less and less each year. This year we've only used the SP twice - once in the early spring and then just last week - and we're probably good for the season. The first year we were dealing with string algae every other week it seemed - pulling it up by the netful from the bottom, trying to keep it from strangling our plants, and yanking it off the waterfall by the armful. That was no fun! I kept telling myself it was helping my pond by consuming the excess nutrients, but it sure isn't pretty!

Ask a Question