Just put baby koi in my pond

Reaction score
after the hassle I had with my pond over the last few weeks with my liner bursting, cement killing all my fish, and then building decking around the pond.

I have finally gotten a couple of baby koi inyo my pond, they are around 2-3inches in length. Please bear in mind the following photographs were taken in the dark

I have a couple of questions to ask:

- how old would they be?
- what kind of koi are they?

Reaction score
do you have any i products such as ipad ipod iphone>? if so there is an app called koi stork it has a blue background and two koi on the cover

Reaction score
at 200 galls is your pond not a bit small for koi ?? also is your water temp not too cold to be introducing new fish into a new pond ? ime in cumbria and my water temp is fluctuating between 8 degrees celsius and 11 degrees celsius, so ime waiting for it to maintain above 10 degrees C before i put any fish in,plus gives it a few week for the water to circulate and balance out !

Reaction score
well i had 2 koi in my pond last year before the builder from hell got at it and they where fine, happy as larry (who the hell is larry?). so i dont think a couple koi would be to upset in it, also - I had my koi in the pond over the entire winter where the temp dropped to -18c and they never died, i went out every day with the hose and ran warm water into the pond to raise water temperature slightly

Reaction score
yeah i know they will winter in there ok, just i was told on here not to introduce fish to a pond if the temp is below 10 degrees C, my pond is 480 gallon and i read everywhere on here you need min 1000 gallon for koi !! ime a newbie also ! just picking up what i read and people tell me !

Reaction score
mayve I shouldnt have koi in it, but they are only 3" long atm, if they get to big it aint hard to re-home them

Reaction score
well in a way mogsie your right however as long as you bring the fish to that temp SLOWLY he will be fine same with summer, water temp has to equal out,EX when you bay a fish it is usually in a bag so you just float the bag for same 10 mins.

However i personally would not recommend introducing new fish in the winter

~Marino~

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thing is barry you are already having problems with your water, koi are not as tough as goldies and i agree with mogsie your pond is really too small ... but you do need to get your pond settled before you keep adding fish or they are just going to keep on dieing ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I lkie the color of that yellow one he glows like sunshine .I have my first 2 koi Auntie AG and Uncle Bert and they are 6 years old and Ag is 2 feet long and Bert is smaller as I understand the males are smaller in my case thats the true.When I got them they where both the same size and about 5 inches long then .I have 2 calico fantails I call them popeye and olive oil ,I also have 3 fancy tails and 2 butterfly koi and they are a pond full of fun .I have 6 babies left as some I gave to neighbors who wanted a pond .They get big fast a couple of mugshots of the destroyers

Attachments

• koi 003.jpg
    koi 003.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 357
  • fish 016.jpg
    fish 016.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 330
  • fish 020.jpg
    fish 020.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 391
  • fish 008.jpg
    fish 008.jpg