Just said to my wife that maybe the Monsoon season is coming to an end. As it turned out; I was wrong....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Thailand
Oops, and I forget to mention. My wife has 2 small greenhouses in the back where she grows caladiums. They actually floated away about a meter or so in the flood, but almost no damage to the plants! She is very happy! She is on a holiday with my son, but I turned on the camera for her today so she could see for herself. Basically they love water anyway, so as long as they don't swim out of the garden it's all good. haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Oops, and I forget to mention. My wife has 2 small greenhouses in the back where she grows caladiums. They actually floated away about a meter or so in the flood, but almost no damage to the plants! She is very happy! She is on a holiday with my son, but I turned on the camera for her today so she could see for herself. Basically they love water anyway, so as long as they don't swim out of the garden it's all good. haha
I'm very glad her caladiums and greenhouses are OK.
Trivia alert: Lake Placid, Florida, about 100 miles SE of Tampa FL, claims they grow 90% of the world's caladiums. Hurricane Ian flooded a lot of that county 2 weeks ago, so I hope they DO like water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Thailand
others.... hahaha

If I was in the Cleveland area I would invite you to come over on a Sunday afternoon and pitch in. lol.

Joey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Thailand
Hi All,

I just went into the back of the garden to take a proper look as to what has really happened. The water subsided enough.

So there is quite a large hole underneath the wall to the farm behind my house. Probably a meter wide and 30-40cm deep. Half of this is under a slab of concrete onto which I placed my water tank and pump. Now this slab is broken and underneath there is no support anymore. The water must have been pretty violent at one point. It deposited sand up to 30cm high and I even saw a 5kg stone on top of that... lol. Glad I waited though. The chance of having fallen into that hole is way to big. Now I can see what I am doing.

So I threw down an electric line and took out my submersible pump. This pumpI bought years ago for specifically my fish pond because it empties it down to 5mm. Not the most powerful pump with a 25mm hose, but does the job for the fish pond. Not so much in a sinkhole. But anyways, I took the water out as much as I could.

Tomorrow I will continue and remove that concrete slab and try to dig it out a little deeper.

I am lucky in a way. This weekend, just 2 days before the rain, I had rearranged my water tank and pump and piping. The tank was exactly where the sinkhole is. The concrete surely would have collapsed and I would not have had any water in the house. Now the 2nd tank that I was gonna install this week was there, but it was still empty. So no harm done. I am gonna make a solar heater to save on my electrics. And I want to put it right there in that corner.

Anyways, I will try to add some pictures tomorrow.

I also found several buckets of waste in the garden. Some unidentifiable plastic. Some plastic cups, strings and bottles. Some beer bottles. Some roof tiles. and even some pieces of asbestos plate... What are they doin' in that farm??? haha.

On a different note: Never before been in an internet community where everybody is so friendly and helpful. And I actually needed my spirits lifted a bit lately. The last 6 months have been rather rough. It means a lot to me. Thank you all.

Joey

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So there is quite a large hole underneath the wall to the farm behind my house. Probably a meter wide and 30-40cm deep. Half of this is under a slab of concrete onto which I placed my water tank and pump. Now this slab is broken and underneath there is no support anymore.
Oh my. So much damage. Glad you did wait until the water subsided before going out to investigate.
If I did live closer I would come over and help you clean-up!

Ask a Question