Just starting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Up until now I have only had a half wine barrel filled with water, a small fountain and feeder goldfish from the pet store. We've enjoyed this small barrel pond a lot over the years. Now, I have an approximately 100 gallon hard plastic pond with a hole in it. I got the pond for $10 at a yard sale. I also got a 2000 gph water fall pump for free from someone who was upgrading. Now I've been bitten by the garden pond bug. I am in the process of repairing the minor crack by layering black Flex Seal Liquid. I'm on my second coat (24 hours between coats). Looking forward to installing this pond and eventually adding to it with another pond that water falls to a stream down to another water fall and into this first pond.
Wish me luck!
Dan in eastern Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome @DanTN . Good luck! Most of, all, good fun. This group is a wealth of help and information.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654642201993.gif
@DanTN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the welcome! It seems I have successfully repaired the hole in the pond with Flex Seal. The pond has been holding water for several days now.
Next steps are finding a good location for it. I'm really worried about the pond getting too much sun and raising the temperature too much and stressing/killing the fish (planning on simple goldfish). The location gets 4-6-ish hours of sun in the morning, shade at mid-day and sun in late afternoon. I'm reading that the temperature should stay in the 65-75 degree range, but I think the sun periods will raise it too much.
I've been looking at the different types of pond dye (dark blue) to maybe cut down the UV and help keep the fish cooler and cut back on algae growth.

Ask a Question