Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
The goldfish in my pond seem to beg me for more food even though they just ate plenty. They will all gather together and sit completely still, well for a fish. Then they will just stare at me like a dog would beg for treats only they will pucker up at me expecting that what I presume is food they want. It only happens when I bend over and put my face close to the water.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They love you!
emoticon-giving-a-kiss-on-the-cheek.png

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fish always want to eat. I don't think they're necessarily smart enough to beg, but they see you and recognize that when you're around, food appears. So when they see you, they think food is coming.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
I enjoy sitting outside and watching the fish and then that happens. I just found that a little intriguing that they act that way. I find myself sitting and observing them and learning their personalities. They all are pretty active when their attention isn't directed onto me but that allows me to get pictures because they are more interested in the camera hahaha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine used to do that, too! I'd throw in some food and they would all go nutso for a while -- then would go absolutely still! Like frozen! I thought that was so strange!

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
It's hard not to feed them but I know its for their own good. I had a mini pig for a few years and fed her appropriately so she was at a healthy weight and if I can handle a pigs appetite, goldfish will be just fine in my care. My pig had to be rehomed to a mini pig farm because she was becoming more than I could handle and I knew she would be happier where she could interact with other pigs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My fish come rushing toward me when i stand in a certain spot because they know that is where they get fed from. If I stand in a different place they sink to the bottom and hide. If you really want to learn more about your fish try standing in the pond to clean stuff out. You might be surprised which ones are the most aggressive!

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Haha well I will dip my nose in the water and its usually the shubie who is first to investigate then the others will follow. The comets are a little stand offish when I put my hand in the water but they are slowly getting use to my hand. Every day I will spend some time for them to interact with me.

Ask a Question