Just wondering.....Again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have two very large Koi.... That will change Tuesday.... Lol.... But anytime the water temperature is above 55 degrees I give them 1 hand full each of wheat germ food.... They will go after it pretty good.... Then it just lays there..... Before I go to work alot of it is gone but not all...... By the time I get home from work all the food is gone.... In my pond I have no rocks or gravel except at the base of the waterfall.... But this afternoon Sarah and I were having coffee sitting by the pond and the largest Koi (Donald) came up to a rock that was covered with string algae .... When he finished a third of the rock was clean no algae..... So I guess my question is..... I have read somewhere that Koi don't like wheat germ food..... But they always clean up all the food I give them...I plan on switching to a high protein food when the water temperature consistently above 70 degrees..... Just wondering.... Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Personally, I think a hand full, per koi, is too much food....especially if it isn't quickly consumed. I do believe fish don't like all varieties of food. I used to feed a food from my fish hatchery, then got something else from Fosters and Smith. I then bought food from a koi breeder and now my fish won't eat the other two foods anymore ! LOL

What's happening on Tuesday :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Personally, I think a hand full, per koi, is too much food....especially if it isn't quickly consumed. I do believe fish don't like all varieties of food. I used to feed a food from my fish hatchery, then got something else from Fosters and Smith. I then bought food from a koi breeder and now my fish won't eat the other two foods anymore ! LOL

What's happening on Tuesday :)
Tula..... I guess what is throwing me off is there was a high quality food in the water and Donald is up there eating algae.... But then again they always eat all the food I put in. ... And my hand full is small and Donald is 10 lbs plus and Hillary is at least 8 lbs..... Tuesday Sarah and I are going on our first fish buying trip..... Long trip..... It's about 1 1/2 mile from our house..... Very kool place.... Will post about it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
A handful is quite a subjective measurement, it depends if it's a full 'grab as much as you can hold in one go' kind of handful, or just what you can hold in your open palm.... but then both also depend on the size of your hand in the first place and male hands 'tend' to be larger than female. We had a farmer in our village who had the biggest hands you ever saw...we used to say they were as big as muck shovels! He was helping a group of us painting the chains around the village green, his hands were as black as night and he wriggled them in front of one of my daughters like two gigantic black spiders, she ran off crying down the road and hid in her grandma's house! She hates spiders to this day some 31years later.

I personally use a plant pot that holds the amount I need to feed in one sitting. I'd far rather keep them a little on the hungry side than overfeed. It's a planted pond so they have lots of vegetation to peck at as well. Using a measured amount means that whatever size of hand feeds them they get the same amount each time.

In general, it's suggested that if food isn't consumed after 10 minutes, it's best scooped out as it can rot on the base of the pond..... but yours are eating it later on so you seem to be sure none is left on the pond bottom. Remember, what goes in, comes out again to some degree anyway!
Are you getting some more koi pals for Donald and Hilary then?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A handful is quite a subjective measurement, it depends if it's a full 'grab as much as you can hold in one go' kind of handful, or just what you can hold in your open palm.... but then both also depend on the size of your hand in the first place and male hands 'tend' to be larger than female. We had a farmer in our village who had the biggest hands you ever saw...we used to say they were as big as muck shovels! He was helping a group of us painting the chains around the village green, his hands were as black as night and he wriggled them in front of one of my daughters like two gigantic black spiders, she ran off crying down the road and hid in her grandma's house! She hates spiders to this day some 31years later.

I personally use a plant pot that holds the amount I need to feed in one sitting. I'd far rather keep them a little on the hungry side than overfeed. It's a planted pond so they have lots of vegetation to peck at as well. Using a measured amount means that whatever size of hand feeds them they get the same amount each time.

In general, it's suggested that if food isn't consumed after 10 minutes, it's best scooped out as it can rot on the base of the pond..... but yours are eating it later on so you seem to be sure none is left on the pond bottom. Remember, what goes in, comes out again to some degree anyway!
Are you getting some more koi pals for Donald and Hilary then?
Lol Moby..... I like your interpretation of hand size...... But I am giving them a small handful to each and they always clean it up..... And I keep a constant check on my water and it is good.... But back to the intent of the post they seem to be eating the wheat germ because they have to.... Not because they want to.... Yes Tuesday going to get a couple of more fish..... It's a cool place.... Planning to go to Louisville KY to a fish sale on Memorial Day weekend..... And going back to the fish farm where we got Donald and Hillary and maybe get a couple of more..... I pretty sure that with 3000 gallons of water and the amount of filtration I have I can support 8 full grown Koi.... But I am going to get a couple of fish and watch my water..... Then add a couple more a few weeks later..... And then see how it goes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our fish will eat until they are satisfied... and then they will start munching on algae. We always call it the salad after the main meal. Like they are real sophisticated French diners. haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
its better to give them small portions few times a day rather then giving them alot at once , they digest very quickly they will eat alot but will not consume it and will get hungry again in few hours , and if the leftover food is uneaten it can dissolve in water or rot somewhere and they can eat it later and get sick
my koi like wheat bread alot , it just makes there growth stable , if u want them to grow faster and ur filter can sustain ... u can add protein based once , feed them 2 or 3 times a day small portions
i think ur both fishes are males , seems very cylindrical and lean , females are bulky and grows fast

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lol Moby..... I like your interpretation of hand size...... But I am giving them a small handful to each and they always clean it up..... And I keep a constant check on my water and it is good.... But back to the intent of the post they seem to be eating the wheat germ because they have to.... Not because they want to.... Yes Tuesday going to get a couple of more fish..... It's a cool place.... Planning to go to Louisville KY to a fish sale on Memorial Day weekend..... And going back to the fish farm where we got Donald and Hillary and maybe get a couple of more..... I pretty sure that with 3000 gallons of water and the amount of filtration I have I can support 8 full grown Koi.... But I am going to get a couple of fish and watch my water..... Then add a couple more a few weeks later..... And then see how it goes

Are you going to the Louisville Koi Show? I'm planning on driving down , on Saturday, for the day, would be nice to meet in person :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you going to the Louisville Koi Show? I'm planning on driving down , on Saturday, for the day, would be nice to meet in person :)
That's our plan..... We have some friends that go every year and they love it..... Would like to meet you

Ask a Question