Just Wondering...

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a new trickle system. On the top layer i used carbon pads. Each day i clean it and amazed at the amount of brown water that comes from it. What exactly is this brown water, surely it can be fish waste?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fish waste, other organic debris such as wind blown pollen and leaf litter (small pieces), insect poop, decomposing insects, dead algae, dead zooplankton, uneaten fish food, etc.. There is a myriad of things floating around in pond water, more in some ponds than others. Collectively it is called TSS (Total Suspended Solids).

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Fish waste, other organic debris such as wind blown pollen and leaf litter (small pieces), insect poop, decomposing insects, dead algae, dead zooplankton, uneaten fish food, etc.. There is a myriad of things floating around in pond water, more in some ponds than others. Collectively it is called TSS (Total Suspended Solids).

Excellent reply, if i may say so. Pretty somes it up, can't think anything else myself. Just surprised how much in one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Excellent reply, if i may say so. Pretty somes it up, can't think anything else myself. Just surprised how much in one day.
It can b bacteria too i read about that rusty coloured thing somewhere
. I dont super clean it , i wss always confused how much to clean media not to clean most of bacteria, bcz it will keep on producing dyed brownish redish colour i assumed its bacteria , on the other hand debri and waste is more greyish blackish , similer to waste u see at bottom of pond

Last edited:

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
When using carbon pads you shouldn't run them top, use a pre-filter pad and the carbon pad won't clog as quickly, learned that from experience. Also like Usman said you don't want to sterilize the pads, just remove most of the solids.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
When using carbon pads you shouldn't run them top, use a pre-filter pad and the carbon pad won't clog as quickly, learned that from experience. Also like Usman said you don't want to sterilize the pads, just remove most of the solids.

I have 6 more layers of coarse filter media underneath in different layers of the trickle filter that i never touch.

Ask a Question