Juvenile terrapins update

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
2F09233D-514D-4700-960B-1B901F7DD307.jpeg 911C6AC7-2C19-4B03-8DCB-DAA32CC3132D.jpeg 0D6FB1F5-A73B-4247-90DB-A0DEFE39CF68.jpeg The 7 terrapin hatchlings ( now 9 months old) from last fall/summer have been in their pond for about a month. They are all doing well, they have to learn to not swim into the skimmer box chasing food, so at the moment there are brushes over the weir. Fortunately, nothing really to skim at the moment, since the pond is netted.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you bring them inside into your spare bathtub in the Winter? My friend up the road does. You use her bathroom as a guest and you have turtle company watching you :woot:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Haha, don’t get performance anxiety.

Kept 4 in a 100gal stock tank and 3 in a 30 gal aquarium in the basement, but not in the bathroom. May need to rethink it for next winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
That is so cool. Were they incubated or natural hatch? I have to look those up. I don’t keep turtles but love them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is so cool. Were they incubated or natural hatch? I have to look those up. I don’t keep turtles but love them.

Thanks, I have an adult pair in my main pond that laid eggs last year.

I incubated the eggs to keep predators from getting them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States

That is wild. Curious if you’ve done that before? We don’t have a lot of species of turtles in northern MN. Pretty boxes and snappers mostly. Up here there are actual turtle crossing signs.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

That’s what happened with me about 15 years ago — and I now have 7 box turtles! Hatching babies was quite an experience!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is wild. Curious if you’ve done that before? We don’t have a lot of species of turtles in northern MN. Pretty boxes and snappers mostly. Up here there are actual turtle crossing signs.

Yes, I have incubated turtle eggs before. Used an inexpensive foam cooler type incubator, was really easy. Biggest thing was marking the eggs when removing them from the nest, since the eggs must stay oriented the way they were laid.

I used to have painted turtles years ago and they started laying eggs, as well. Incubated some and other times just left the nests. Also, I didn’t always find their nests, sometimes would just see little turtles swimming in the pond.

Ask a Question