Kalamazoo Michigan Pond clubs? Advice on dig

Reaction score
Hi there, I am just finishing my pond dig and would like a second set of eyes to look at my site before I put the liner in and rock it. I really don't want to spend $100 on Pro fees if there are some willing to help. My dig is about 7'Wx11'L and about 36" deep with a 8' stream. I have already changed my design once to be BIGGER and just need the o.k. from an experienced owner.

I will be using a laser level next week and will have the overflow into the yard away from the house. The falls box is next to the house and at the the highest point. Everything is dug with a decent slope toward the pond.

I stare at this dirt for hours and love it! I think I'm addicted!!

Are there pond garden type clubs or owners in my area that can help me?

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 259

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks good but if you are going with a 45 mil liner it may be hard to form it to the hole .Are you married to the shape .I know mine is a rectangle and that was even hard in the corners .I don't have a skimmer and maybe I am wrong but should your skimmer be across from your waterfall and filter area to get the best flow

Reaction score
I live just a couple towns over from Kalamazoo. I am no expert but I have also redug my pond a few times. I agree with everything Sissy said about the shape being a pain to line as well as the placement of the skimmer across from the waterfall. It will be fine how it is but directly across would be better. I would also try to eliminate some of those shelfs if you aren't dead set on them. Also, what are those buckets and the short elbow of pipe for?

Reaction score
looks good but if you are going with a 45 mil liner it may be hard to form it to the hole .Are you married to the shape .I know mine is a rectangle and that was even hard in the corners .I don't have a skimmer and maybe I am wrong but should your skimmer be across from your waterfall and filter area to get the best flow

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am "married" to it literally. My hubby was melting down with the thought of the skimmer protruding into yard!! I had to compromise, but I am installing an aerator system and have a flow control water pump in the farthest side to direct water toward the skimmer.

One reason I redug bigger was that I had WAY more liner then hole! I widened and deepened it to fill the liner. The folds are smaller now and will be under larger rocks.

This is nerve racking!!! Thanks for your help

Reaction score
I live just a couple towns over from Kalamazoo. I am no expert but I have also redug my pond a few times. I agree with everything Sissy said about the shape being a pain to line as well as the placement of the skimmer across from the waterfall. It will be fine how it is but directly across would be better. I would also try to eliminate some of those shelfs if you aren't dead set on them. Also, what are those buckets and the short elbow of pipe for?

Reaction score
Thanks so much for helping me. I wanted the shelfs for rocks and plants. Are you thinking of critter steps or are the just a hassle to deal with? I do have a aerator system and a flow control water pump to put at the far end to help circulate water.

The buckets and pipe are my fish tunnel locations. They will be in camo.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could use black drain pipe for tunnels also .The muck will cover most everything any way .I was going to put a step in my again but figure it was safer to not give animals any ideas .

Reaction score
I can't tell from your design, but you should make a little shelf about 6 inches wide just at the water level to help hide the liner. You place rocks on that shelf at the water level, so when you look down, you see rocks, not black liner.

The shape looks nice. It looks very deep. I have some folds in mine too, I kind of consider it a nursery now, the tiny babies hide in the folds, its all worked out.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Reaction score
you could use black drain pipe for tunnels also .The muck will cover most everything any way .I was going to put a step in my again but figure it was safer to not give animals any ideas .

I've been wanting a large drain pipe but the $3.50 bucket called my name! I cut 1/3 side off to make it taller for when the fish get bigger. The smaller 1/3 will house any smaller fish. They will be totally covered with stones and rocks and hopefully won't even be noticed. I have a small slate for the elbow pipe and will put a plant on it. Thanks again and feel free to give me ideas.

Reaction score
I can't tell from your design, but you should make a little shelf about 6 inches wide just at the water level to help hide the liner. You place rocks on that shelf at the water level, so when you look down, you see rocks, not black liner.

The shape looks nice. It looks very deep. I have some folds in mine too, I kind of consider it a nursery now, the tiny babies hide in the folds, its all worked out.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thank you for the comments. I do have a shelf about 10" around most of the pond. I was hoping to not see any black liner but I don't know what will happen until I start rocking next week. I've looked at several ponds in person and like the look of the rocks. But I don't want to go over powering. I know my boys will draw Mount Rushmore if I give them a pallet!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was lucky there was building going on my area so i just picked all kinds of stuff up they threw in the garbage pile .There garbage my gain .Got lots of neat pieces of pvc and abs pipe and drainage pipe .They had piles of rocks out there also from the digging and builder said have fun ,what you take I don't have to haul off .He was happy and it sure made my day :)

Reaction score
Lisa, I'm too new at this to give you any advice. But last year I talked my DH into creating what I called a glorified bird bath. He was kicking and screaming the whole way. I was of no help in building it (wheelchair), but I was of course deeply involved as the supervisor!

Anyway, once it was done, he started to love it. I mean we would sit out there in front of the waterfall, having a drink, and actually TALKING to each other, lol! On more than one occasion, he remarked how much he enjoyed it.

Not intending to get into ponding, we threw a couple feeder goldfish into the pond, and voila, now I love keeping those fish! So this year, we dug up the little birdbath and made an actual pond and bog. It's much smaller than yours because the space is confined, but we love it.

So, I hope your DH will have a similar reaction and learn to love yours as well!

Oh, and one last thing...check out the Bog sticky thread in the Pond Construction area. After reading about them, I put one into our larger pond design. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think it's going to be a great addition.

Reaction score
I was lucky there was building going on my area so i just picked all kinds of stuff up they threw in the garbage pile .There garbage my gain .Got lots of neat pieces of pvc and abs pipe and drainage pipe .They had piles of rocks out there also from the digging and builder said have fun ,what you take I don't have to haul off .He was happy and it sure made my day :)

That's an awesome find! I have a Costco going near my house and plan on making a dumpster diving visit each evening! We have a vaca home up north in Michigan and a farmer has a field rock pile as big as a house I get all my rock from. And they are the most beautiful rocks ever!! Purples, Pinks, large pudding stones, opal looking rocks!! I love rocks and always have. As a kid I spent hours in the drive way picking out Indian beads and now I pick Petoskey stones out of my own drive!

I noticed your knowledge in other posts thanks a lot.

Reaction score
T
Lisa, I'm too new at this to give you any advice. But last year I talked my DH into creating what I called a glorified bird bath. He was kicking and screaming the whole way. I was of no help in building it (wheelchair), but I was of course deeply involved as the supervisor!

Anyway, once it was done, he started to love it. I mean we would sit out there in front of the waterfall, having a drink, and actually TALKING to each other, lol! On more than one occasion, he remarked how much he enjoyed it.

Not intending to get into ponding, we threw a couple feeder goldfish into the pond, and voila, now I love keeping those fish! So this year, we dug up the little birdbath and made an actual pond and bog. It's much smaller than yours because the space is confined, but we love it.

So, I hope your DH will have a similar reaction and learn to love yours as well!

Oh, and one last thing...check out the Bog sticky thread in the Pond Construction area. After reading about them, I put one into our larger pond design. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think it's going to be a great addition.

Thanks so much Katherine, my DH is getting on board. He has even picked up rocks for me and run the ele.! I know we will sit each evening out there after work. I just hope I get all the normal work done around the house! I am building a couple bird friendly areas in the stream and think about how to spoil the birds! I will keep pictures updated. I start rocking this week I hope!

Ask a Question