kansas pond started

Reaction score
Well the digging has finally started. I'm planning a new 3000GL pond in my back yard about 12X20. I'll try to put up some drawings shortly but for now here is some of the digging work.

Attachments

• IMG00062 (Large).jpg
    IMG00062 (Large).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG00064 (Large).jpg
    IMG00064 (Large).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG00067 (Large).jpg
    IMG00067 (Large).jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG00070 (Large).jpg
    IMG00070 (Large).jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
DoDad said:
How deep will it be?

the dug out part will be 1.5 ft deep and I'm building a 2ft high cinder block wall around the pond to have 1.5 ft above ground. so the total pond depth will be 3 ft. the less digging in the clay the better.

PS3

Reaction score
this is the worst part of the build. like the others said my back hurts looking at it lol.
but its comeing a long nice. my pond is kinda like yours it goes down 3 feet.
and it has blocks above i have pics of it in the pic thread
plz keep us updated on this build

Reaction score
PS3 said:
this is the worst part of the build. like the others said my back hurts looking at it lol.
but its comeing a long nice. my pond is kinda like yours it goes down 3 feet.
and it has blocks above i have pics of it in the pic thread
plz keep us updated on this build

the clay really isn't that bad or not as bad as i thought. its coming out in big pieces just heavy. I didn't get anything done today but i did buy the material for the base. I'm going to be using 4in of paver base and sand as the foundation like you would build a retaining wall. I'm planning to force the clay into the middle of the cender block walls as a filler and to give more strength and weight to the wall to hold back the water. there will also be rebar in some of the blocks in the middle for the longer run areas.

Reaction score
I got my 150GL stock tank today. that thing is huge. Its going to take a lot of filter media. I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to get the cender blocks. but the pond maybe on hold for a couple weeks cause I'm getting a sprinkler system and sod installed so i cant walk on it or anything for 2-3 weeks.

Reaction score
I'm wondering if i went to big. lol the 150gl stock tank with a 2400GPH pump will have a retention time of 4.5min. i guess the more the better. but when building it will one 2in drain be enough? 1.5in coming in to the filter.

Reaction score
too big? LOL! No such thing with filtration!

I do think 1.5 inch pipe is too small for a filter like this and you should stick with 2" at minimun. Just downsize the pipe with a rubber coupling at your pump.

I'm going to be using the same stock tank and will be using 3" pipe.

Ask a Question