Karin's Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I just found this site and am so happy for all the GREAT information. I dug a pond in February of 2017 after reading many, many ideas on how to make one. I wanted a gravel bottom and a large shallow area with rocks for birds to sit on and easy access for critters. The pond is 8'x14' oval, is 36" inches at the deepest part, which is the far end of the oval (north-side). It has two shelfs running the length of the pond on the east and west sides, with depths of about 8" on the east side and about 4" on the west side. The south side of the pond has a shelf that extends 6 feet into the pond and slopes gradually to about 6" deep, but has 2" gravel on the bottom. I put rocks of various sizes in and around the pond, planted different iris and plants that I had in the yard near the edges. I set potted taro, elephant ears, and cala lilies in pots in the shallow end in the summer. I bought 6 goldfish and they have bred and are very happy in their home. I built my pond in a "clearing" under a canopy of trees, so it gets only dappled sun, but I love it. Also, there is no electricity, so the pond had to be "balanced" with more plants than fish.
Now, I have decided to get electricity out to the pond and run a perforated pipe under the gravel, put up brick and rock barrier and turn the shallow end into a proper bog with many more plants so that the water will be clearer. I am so excited!
my pond.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! That is a great looking pond you have there! Love the colors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, Addy! I have been reading a lot of posts for several days trying to find the answer to a few questions, and I have learned a lot. I do have some questions and I guess I should put them on a different thread or could I post them here?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best to start a thread not in introductions, eventually people sort of quit looking here if they already said hi. They will miss your questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!
Great looking pond!
You're smart for thinking about adding a bog for filtration. It seems to be one of the best filters and places to grow many varieties of plants.

Ask a Question