Keep losing fish!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd get my hands on some plants some floaters some hyacin or lettuce even some duck weed. You have a pond that has little to no defences against unforseen. For your set up I'd look into a shower filter. Those canisters are OK at trapping waste but do little biological or to oxygenated your water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd get my hands on some plants some floaters some hyacin or lettuce even some duck weed. You have a pond that has little to no defences against unforseen. For your set up I'd look into a shower filter. Those canisters are OK at trapping waste but do little biological or to oxygenated your water. 7 gold fish should have no issues surviving unless they to are not very healthy. I'd also try another supplier.

Reaction score
Glad to hear things are better. One thing I have learned or shall I say been told is feeding wish in the winter is a recipe for disaster. Get a pond thermometer that floats. When water temp gets drops between 40 and 50 degrees you should only feed wheat germ food when it drops below 40 stop feeding all together. Same for spring. Fish cannot digest food in low water temps. Wheat germ is easier to digest in cooler water temps but only to a certain point. Tetra floating pond thermometer is a good one. It specifically tells you when to start feeding certain food and when to stop. If its 10 degrees out your water temperature is going to be way to cold to feed. Hope all goes well for you and your fish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Glad to hear things are better. One thing I have learned or shall I say been told is feeding wish in the winter is a recipe for disaster. Get a pond thermometer that floats. When water temp gets drops between 40 and 50 degrees you should only feed wheat germ food when it drops below 40 stop feeding all together. Same for spring. Fish cannot digest food in low water temps. Wheat germ is easier to digest in cooler water temps but only to a certain point. Tetra floating pond thermometer is a good one. It specifically tells you when to start feeding certain food and when to stop. If its 10 degrees out your water temperature is going to be way to cold to feed. Hope all goes well for you and your fish.
I agree and I do the exact same thing, however you will find others that don't agree. Some don't switch the type of food or some will continue to feed. I'd rather not take the chance. Plus, there's plenty of other natural things for them to snack on if need be.

I've been doing this for 12 years, so I'm not changing now.

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the bacteria in the pond starts to slow down a lot. If you are feeding fish when bacteria arnt active then that will cause water quality problems even if your fish are digesting it ok. I have never feed my fish during winter and have never lost a fish, they all made it through and when water temperature rises in spring they all came up anxious to see me. Also when when transitioning from wheat germ to regular food in he spring i only feed every other day for a week or so so they can adjust.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Another thing to consider is the bacteria in the pond starts to slow down a lot. If you are feeding fish when bacteria arnt active then that will cause water quality problems even if your fish are digesting it ok. I have never feed my fish during winter and have never lost a fish, they all made it through and when water temperature rises in spring they all came up anxious to see me. Also when when transitioning from wheat germ to regular food in he spring i only feed every other day for a week or so so they can adjust.
Good point about the bacteria!
That makes perfect sense.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine don't get any special food, fall, spring, in fact they seldom get food. Hardly ever see a dead fish, sometimes a small fry in the spring. I have over 100 fish if not more in the pond.

Ask a Question