Keep losing fish!!

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is the bacteria in the pond starts to slow down a lot. If you are feeding fish when bacteria arnt active then that will cause water quality problems even if your fish are digesting it ok. I have never feed my fish during winter and have never lost a fish, they all made it through and when water temperature rises in spring they all came up anxious to see me. Also when when transitioning from wheat germ to regular food in he spring i only feed every other day for a week or so so they can adjust.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Another thing to consider is the bacteria in the pond starts to slow down a lot. If you are feeding fish when bacteria arnt active then that will cause water quality problems even if your fish are digesting it ok. I have never feed my fish during winter and have never lost a fish, they all made it through and when water temperature rises in spring they all came up anxious to see me. Also when when transitioning from wheat germ to regular food in he spring i only feed every other day for a week or so so they can adjust.
Good point about the bacteria!
That makes perfect sense.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine don't get any special food, fall, spring, in fact they seldom get food. Hardly ever see a dead fish, sometimes a small fry in the spring. I have over 100 fish if not more in the pond.

Ask a Question