Keeping my dog out of the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Staffie aged one has taken a liking to pond algae and has pretty well chased away all the wildlife. He has also destroyed the pond by tearing at the liner so that the water level dropped right down. We are now thinking of getting a preformed pond and placing a steel grid between the stones to overlap the pond edges and the lip of the pond. Any other idea to keep the dog out of the pond would be welcome!

Attachments

• 802E00A3-00FB-4C94-BECA-9F582452DB7D.jpeg
    802E00A3-00FB-4C94-BECA-9F582452DB7D.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Staffie aged one has taken a liking to pond algae and has pretty well chased away all the wildlife. He has also destroyed the pond by tearing at the liner so that the water level dropped right down. We are now thinking of getting a preformed pond and placing a steel grid between the stones to overlap the pond edges and the lip of the pond. Any other idea to keep the dog out of the pond would be welcome!
either dog training, invible fence, or actual visible fencing; that's all I can think of.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with @brokensword, invisible fence if you don’t want the look of a fence. They make remote sensors that send out a signal a certain diameter out from the source. It looks like a rock albeit an artificial one, that will keep the pooch out of your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They sell some nice short fences you could surround your pond with. Many different designs, materials and colors.

Invisible fences work good, but your dog needs to wear that special shock collar and will need to be trained a bit to realize the boundaries.

I was thinking of doing a nautical theme around mine. Short 4x4 posts with hemp rope threaded through the top of them and sloping down between the posts. That idea won't stop a dog though.
You could improve on that idea by threading more than one rope at different heights with the rope tight, not swinging down. Basically building a fence from 4x4's and rope. The ropes should keep your dog out, as long as they are tight and spaced close enough together.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They sell some nice short fences you could surround your pond with. Many different designs, materials and colors.

Invisible fences work good, but your dog needs to wear that special shock collar and will need to be trained a bit to realize the boundaries.

I was thinking of doing a nautical theme around mine. Short 4x4 posts with hemp rope threaded through the top of them and sloping down between the posts. That idea won't stop a dog though.
You could improve on that idea by threading more than one rope at different heights with the rope tight, not swinging down. Basically building a fence from 4x4's and rope. The ropes should keep your dog out, as long as they are tight and spaced close enough together.
Thanks for the idea. Will have a good think about it.

Eira

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NO no no Simple solution well simple that is after you rip out the rocks, mud, boulders, and liner. If you can't beat them join them right well why not get a fabric that protects the liner from rocks and sticks and find some EXTRA HEAVY DUTY NON WOVEN NEEDLE PUNCH FABRIC I can't say for sure but i would think one layer of 12oz would do the job so in my fashion i would do two layers on top of the liner and not worry if the dog got in the pond. And work on some training to limit the disturbance tot he wild life your liner should be all set.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
NO no no Simple solution well simple that is after you rip out the rocks, mud, boulders, and liner. If you can't beat them join them right well why not get a fabric that protects the liner from rocks and sticks and find some EXTRA HEAVY DUTY NON WOVEN NEEDLE PUNCH FABRIC I can't say for sure but i would think one layer of 12oz would do the job so in my fashion i would do two layers on top of the liner and not worry if the dog got in the pond. And work on some training to limit the disturbance tot he wild life your liner should be all set.
Good idea.
Lay some underlayment over (on top of) the liner.
It will protect the liner from the dog if he/she happens to get in there again, fence or no fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Seen years ago: a ramp into the pond and artificial turf on it to protect the liner and to give the owners' water loving dogs a good walking surface in/out. The pond was big enough and deep enough at the end of the ramp, it didn't become an easy-on entrance for varmints (raccoons and heron).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Toy fox terrier loves going in the stream up to his shoulders then sticks his head under to try and catch minnows, but he's never even come close. Add large egg size rocks.

Ask a Question