Keeping out falling leaves

Reaction score
Hi all, my 1st post.

I have a fountain that holds 250 gal here in the south bay area of northern CA. I have an elm tree that will drop tons of leaves when fall gets here. What is the best way to keep the leaves out of my fountain/pond. Last year the leaves overwhelmed it and I had to start from scratch. This year I added a 32 gal trash can with pvc shavings as a bio filter. The water is crystal clear and I want to keep it that way.

Norm

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
try to cover it ,with pond netting when the leaves are falling...welcome to the site

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
WTG Norm
Another smart bio filter man. Don't you love it when something almost free works perfect? I am going to use PVC turnings myself on my next filter.

DrCase hit on the head, netting will keep them out.

Welcome to the Forum. We will expect pictures soon. Curious minds need to know...

Reaction score
put a guide wire across your pond drape a net over it and let the leaves fall down and own to the side.

Reaction score
I use good old manual labor to keep the leaves out of my pond. At least once a day, I skim leaves from the top using a 10" net tied to the end of a ski pole. This generates enough circulation/flow that all of the leaves eventually make their way around to where I am and I don't have to go around chasing them. I usually do this in conjunction to a water top-off and I have that go in at an angle to create more circulation. I am usually able to get the leaves off the bottom as well.
about twice a month, I use the toe of an old leg of pantyhose and stretch that over the net as well and I get all the little bits that the net misses.
The bonus is that my fish LOVE to play in the "surf" and they know it is feeding time right afterwards.
Your pond looks small enough to do this easily, you may want to stick the water hose near the bottom to get the leaves up where you can net them.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using my shop vac as a way to get the gunk off the bottom. So I'm trying to come up with a way to empty the vac and get the water through my bio-filter. Maybe I can use my flush and gravity to filter the vac water.

What is a good mesh size for pond netting. My local shops only sell bird netting which is 1" and I see online 3/8" and 1/8" netting. What do you recommend to keep out fall debris.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
if you suck it out with the shop vac,,,,use it to water your plants,,dont try to reuse the water ,,,,i dont have a net for my pond ...but i would get the 3/8.

Reaction score
I ended up getting the 3/8" and it worked wonderfully. Some smaller stuff fell through but other than that I'll use pond netting again and again.

Ask a Question