Keeping toddlers out of a container pond?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's a question...I have a 19 inch resin planter I am using next year as my showcase water garden. However, my apartment complex also has a bunch of kids, including a few toddlers, and I would never forgive myself if any of them were seriously injured/drowned by falling into my water garden. How would you recommend making my container pond toddler safe? I was thinking of using multiple layers of chicken wire as a lid (I would use standard hardware cloth, but the water lily I am planning to put in it has blooms that stretch several inches above the water surface and the lid needs to have gaps large enough for them to fit through), fastening them in place with a bungee cord, and putting some concrete blocks on top for further protection. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
A bicycle rim with spokes might work. There is far better wire to use than chicken wire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My first thought is, can you raise it up? Onto something strong like concrete blocks which you could surround with potted plants. Just make it all high enough no child could reach it to climb in.
Barb

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My first thought is, can you raise it up? Onto something strong like concrete blocks which you could surround with potted plants. Just make it all high enough no child could reach it to climb in.
Barb
You ever watch kids climb, they are like little monkeys they want to reach something they will get there. I would not trust anything except a covering that will not allow them to fall in.
My grand niece climbs out of a crib, barely able to walk yet.

Ask a Question