KH and PH Balance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
...Does that change anything? ...

Yes it does. I think a single limestone brick (about 6x6 or 10x10, something like that) would be beneficial to your pond, but I would also add a cup of baking soda for now. Test your water again after at least 24 hours and then again about 1 week after that.
The phosphate is probably added to your municipal water to reduce corrosion in their pipes.
That could cause excess algae growth, so keep an eye out for that. You could always use a flocculant like koi clay to adsorb excess phosphate.
I don't use a water meter, I'm on a well.

...When people post about it I'm like o_O. ...

I used to be like that but I've come to understand that if you focus on good water quality, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a successful pond/aquarium. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This is a great thread! I'm not a water tester myself, but this has helped me so much to understand the relationship between KH, GH, and PH. When people post about it I'm like o_O. Now I'll be able to follow along!

I did want to add for @LibraKoi - I have mixed results with my floaters from year to year. Sometimes they do great in the pond, other years not so much. They ALWAYS do well in my pondless waterfall, which is the exact same water (minus fish) so I suspect some years my fish eat the roots and other years they just aren't interested. Who knows why - maybe they feel they got too fat over winter one year and need to add more greens to their diet? haha! Anyway, last year I put them in the big pond in spots where the fish were less likely to get to them and once again they did great. This may or may not be helpful to you but I thought I would add it just in case!
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info on the floaters. The last couple yrs. I have put them in planter rings, but either the koi are still getting them or they don't like my pond. :( I am going to try them again this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes it does. I think a single limestone brick (about 6x6 or 10x10, something like that) would be beneficial to your pond, but I would also add a cup of baking soda for now. Test your water again after at least 24 hours and then again about 1 week after that.
The phosphate is probably added to your municipal water to reduce corrosion in their pipes.
That could cause excess algae growth, so keep an eye out for that. You could always use a flocculant like koi clay to adsorb excess phosphate.
I don't use a water meter, I'm on a well.

I used to be like that but I've come to understand that if you focus on good water quality, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a successful pond/aquarium. (y)
Thanks Mitch! Can I just get one from a landscapers depot or do I have to worry about where it came from and what may be on it? Then, where in my pond do I place it? I will do the baking soda and update when new kits come in.

I actually do add clay once or twice a week. I'll send a photo of the one I use. Is this the right stuff? I didn't realize it helped with phosphate--I use about 5-6 Table spoons each time I dose. I also use another product by the same Co. I will send too. There is a 3rd. one I use that is supposed to help with the ulcers and temp changes. Not sure if any of them have anything to do with my thread question. Figured I would let you know anyways. Thanks again

Attachments

• 56315.jpg
    56315.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 222
  • pl-5417.jpg
    pl-5417.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am going to try them again this year.

If they start to look like they are suffering, you can do like was suggested and move them into a solution of MiracleGro and water. Float them in a bucket of that for a few days and they will green right up. Then right back in the pond. A little boost is sometimes all they need!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks Mitch! Can I just get one from a landscapers depot or do I have to worry about where it came from and what may be on it? Then, where in my pond do I place it? I will do the baking soda and update when new kits come in.

Limestone is a general term so it's make up can vary by region. It may not do anything.
It would just be placed in an area with running water.
If your landscaping places are anything like the ones around here, when you ask what the composition is, usually the person just stares back at you and blinks.
The microbe lift you pictured doesn't do anything for an established pond and I'm not familiar with the clay product you pictured. I see it has calcium in it. That could be raising your GH. It will be good to see what your actual pond KH and GH is once you get the new kits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If they start to look like they are suffering, you can do like was suggested and move them into a solution of MiracleGro and water. Float them in a bucket of that for a few days and they will green right up. Then right back in the pond. A little boost is sometimes all they need!
Thank you Lisa! The MiracleGro doesn't hurt the koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Limestone is a general term so it's make up can vary by region. It may not do anything.
It would just be placed in an area with running water.
If your landscaping places are anything like the ones around here, when you ask what the composition is, usually the person just stares back at you and blinks.
The microbe lift you pictured doesn't do anything for an established pond and I'm not familiar with the clay product you pictured. I see it has calcium in it. That could be raising your GH. It will be good to see what your actual pond KH and GH is once you get the new kits.
What kind of clay do you use or were talking about?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What kind of clay do you use or were talking about?
I don't manually add clay, our gravel roads here stir up enough clay containing dust that I don't have to.
I just saw that your clay has calcium added to it, which is a good thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good info on this thread, I'm also looking to lower my pH since it seems to hover around the high 8s. The limestone solution seems like a good option in that pH range vs oyster shells I've been using this past year. So where do I get them and what size for a 2000 gallons pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Update: So I tested with the new kits last week and here are the results.

KH 4 drops
GH 3-4 drops
PH 8.5-9.
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Ammonia 0

I did a little more vacuuming, and added some more water. So will probably test tomorrow to see if anything is different.

I have been trying to locate the lime brick, but around here they only have the lime treads. They are to big. They do however, have a white limestone 3/4-1/2" rock that people use in a garden. Does anyone know if this is the same lime and would produce the same effect?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Your PH seems high given your kh/gh levels. What time of the day did you measure?
Try measuring 1st thing in the morning and again early afternoon.
1st thing in the morning should give you your lowest ph readings, early afternoon should give you your highest readings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Your PH seems high given your kh/gh levels. What time of the day did you measure?
Try measuring 1st thing in the morning and again early afternoon.
1st thing in the morning should give you your lowest ph readings, early afternoon should give you your highest readings.
I did my readings around noon. I will get an early reading in the next couple days. They were spawning when I went out at 6 am, so will try tomorrow before work. They made a mess and a bunch of foam. I have to rehome some of my big ones. Just have no idea to whom as not many have ponds around here.

Did you have an opinion on the white decorative lime rock?

Ask a Question