KH value stuck at 90

Reaction score
6000 gallon pond with 17 koi.
All metrics except for KH are normal.
KH value is 90 and stuck there.
I tried adding four cups of baking soda. No change in KH.
I bought Buff-It-Up hoping that this chemistry would be more effective.
Adding 2 cups of this has not changed the KH value.
It does, however, turn the water chalky white. This color dissipates overnight.

I had a bad experience with a pond service tech who dumped calcium chloride into my pond, turning it white. A massive fish kill resulted.
So I'm afraid to keep upping the dose of Buff-It-Up for fear that I'll suffer another catastrophe.

I'd appreciate advice on why my KH is not responding to baking soda or B-I-U and whether or not I should be concerned about the chalkly water.

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.
I'm using drops.
The two test bottles are shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• KH.JPG
    KH.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The formula for raising kh that I've always used is 1 cup of baking soda per 1000 gallons, so for a pond of your size you would need to use 6 cups. Dissolve that amount in a bucket of pond water & add it to your system (I usually pour some in each of my two skimmers) Wait 24 hours & test again - it should bring it up 1 drop on the test kit chart. (so if you were at 5 drops, it should now be up to the 6 drop level) Repeat every 24 hours until you get to the level you want (usually anywhere between 100 - 200 is OK)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is the same size as yours. I normally use 6 to 8 cups when I need to raise the KH, and I keep the KH of my pond around 200 ppm. If your pH is 8 or so, you can add as much baking soda as you want. It won't raise the pH over 8.3 so there won't be a drastic rise in the pH. If it's below 8, then you need to be more careful with the amount you add each day.

Reaction score
This is all very helpful.
Because baking soda doesn't cloud up the water, I'll switch to that and use the quantities you suggest.

Many thanks.

Ask a Question