KH very low

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I just tested my pond water, and everythng looks okay except the KH which is very low. PH is fine at 7.5, GH is around 120. Do I need to do something to raise the KH? Does the fact that we have had torrential rains on and off for the last week have a bearing? Please share yourn wisdom!

Joanie

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you dont say how low your KH is ...but its dangerous if it falls below 50 acording to my test kit ... ive read that you can add baking soda ...but im not sure hopefully someone will be able to help you more

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i dont know what you do to make it go higher ...can only hope someone else does ...have you tried putting KH into a search engine to see if you can find some info ..sorry i cant be any help

Reaction score
KH helps resist PH swings. 40 is not that low. baking soda works I add it to my african cichlid tank. Oyster shells also works, both are sodium bi-carbonate which buffers water and raises the KH on a test kit. It also raises PH to around 8.4.

I would only worry about KH if PH measurements are not swinging to high or low. If PH is stable then I wouldn't add anything to the pond. It would take many boxes of baking soda to even register on a test kit.

Ask a Question