Kids Eating Koi Food

Reaction score
Here's a strange one for you.

I have a confession to make--my kids eat koi food.

I swear I can't keep my 7-year old from eating the stuff every time we feed the fish. And, I'm not just talking about a pellet or two, the kid will stuff a handful in. I keep telling him no! (I mean, the stuff is not cheap! LOL!), but the the next day he's at it again. I mean, I've tried the stuff and it's gritty and tastes funny to me. I realize it won't hurt him, since the stuff is pretty natural and prob better than some of the stuff he has in a school lunch (LOL!), but the fact that he finds it so palatable is kinda funny to me.

Anyone else's kid do this? Or will a pond owner fess up to eating the stuff?

Reaction score
No - not here. My kids says it stinks. So, I don't see them taking a bite. Maybe, I can sneak it in a bag of chips (LOL).

Which koi food do you use??

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Does your child Swim any better after eating it :bowdown:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no my kids dont eat koi food of course the youngest is 17 ...but our dog likes it, and my nieces twin boys (13 months old) eat the dogs food, and dirt from planters inside the house. i guess i could give them a few pieces and see what happens!...NOT! OH,and we tell the boys NO too, but at that age it means do it!
AND Dr.Case........YOU SO FUNNY!

Reaction score
Koikeeper, Animal food is not subject to the same stringent rules that the FDA
has for food.
Just imagine the unsanitary conditions animal food could be subject
to..For instance,bugs and varments. Not to scare you, but it's best to be
on the safe side.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
People eat live bugs on the survival shows and live to tell about it. I wouldn't worry unless your kids are anemic.
This reminds me of an incident where I work...
We had a guy in the shop who used to steal sandwiches from the refrigerator, one day the shop folks made a sandwich from dog food and laughed as they watched him steal and eat it. They waited till he was finished before telling him what he ate. This cured him from stealing.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
never tried fish food but when i was little i use to love dog biscuits! and im still alive to tell the tale ! woof woof
oh and one of my cats loves the fish food he is always trying to get in the bag when im feeding them

Reaction score
Do what are parents would do! Tell him if he eats too much he'll go blind or something.
I thought he had brilliant coloring today though!
My bags say "Not For Human Consumption" on them.

Reaction score
Your people are killing me with your hilarious comments! Squid, I'm rolling on the floor! Ha ha!

Okay, if my kid eats koi food and DrC licks deer minerals, I guess my kid ain't that nutty after all! LOL! ROFL!

Well, I will say that when the same kid (michael, 7) was like two years old, he would often eat the dry food out of our English Mastiff (named Riley's) bowl. We once went to a family members house, and they caught Michael eating out of their Akita's bowl. This kid has a penchant for pet food I can't stop! What can I say!? [I know, I know, I'm an awful parent!].

Here's Michael sitting on Riley's head at age 2. The dog was only about 145 lbs at the time and patiently sat there while Michael was watching some cartoon on TV.

WatchingTV.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think Its in the gene pool !!!
That is one big dog ..Great pic

Ask a Question