killed my koi and need to start fresh

Reaction score
I just bought a home in Toronto and with my home came a small pond in my back yard. I think it is about 180 gallons and it had six koi in it. The guy I bought the house from told me the fish were two yrs. old and he said the pond was maintenance free. After a few weeks i decided to look at the filter and it looked like the guy hadn't ever cleaned or changed the filter. I decided the pond needed some maintenance so i changed the filter,changed half the water and everything seemed okay. Another month later i was at a garden center that specialized in koi ponds and they sold me a product called D-solve by a company called crystal clear. I am pretty sure I put too much in and slowly all my koi are dying. I changed half of the water waiting a week and i am going to change half of it again if there are any fish left. My question is if they all dye what should i do to start over. Also what are the things I should do to ensure healthy happy fish in clean water. I have a pump and a filter in the pond with a waterfall.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Wow, um, that sucks. Welcome to the forum, anyhow. My best suggestion would be to do some reading on the site, especially the DIY section. Might want to show some photos of what you have, might be better to try a cheap to build and run filter that would help. But, lot of folks here who know more than I, just read a bit.

Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck, everybody will try to help you and welcome

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We can help and my first advice is NEVER PUT CHEMICALS IN YOUR POND. Get your advice here and not from a minimum wage worker who is told to sell you CHEMICALS.

Ask a Question