Kind of a morbid question.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So in a short time of approximately 18 months, I've grown quite enamored with my pond fish friends. I am always considering their needs, will plan my holiday travel around times of year when their maintenance is lower, and generally consider them a dependent that I am fully responsible for. I have experienced a couple of fish losses, and I know that will happen. What worries me more, is what happens if I have to move, or if I pass away suddenly. Does anyone have a plan in place for their fish families in the event of some unforeseen life hiccup? This is one reason I never had children, I just think about these things and let it get to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Not morbid. Think of this as part of adult life planning, which includes having a current will, and medical and financial powers of attorney, guardianship of minor children, and a list of where records and documentation are (financial institution accounts, deed to the house, title to the car...) and so on.
Yes, I do have a pond plan (and it has come in handy twice in my life.) I have written instructions that local friends have a copy of, to cover vacations or unforeseen life hiccuping of how to care for the fish and pond short term, and fortunately, the pond runs itself pretty well for quite some time via bog filtration (thanks GPF members for convincing me and teaching me how to build it). I have notes in the instructions of contacts who might rehome my fishies in the long term.
Hope this helps to put your mind at ease.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd recommend that you consider what @SarahT has suggested - make your pond self sustaining for a least short periods of time. Planning your life around your fish seems a tad bit over the top, to be honest. Planning for them if you were to suddenly die makes sense - just like you would any other pet.

On the other hand, we only vacation during the cold winter months because we love enjoying our own back yard during the spring, summer and fall - no place I'd rather be when the sun is shining and the pond is at it's best!

Ask a Question