King Tut & Marsh Marigold Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
So decided to go out and get some plants today as I have little success with online availability.

King Tut - I know it’s an annual but wanted to give it a try. Picked up the regular and dwarf variety. Can I plant one in my bog? Or should they go in pots in the pond? Above or below waterline?

Marsh Marigold - Similar questions, bog or pot and depth?

Thanks!
Kyle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Don't know King Tut (except for the Egyptian dude), but I'm in zone 6b (northeastern PA) with pretty long harsh Winters. and have had a Marsh Marigold for years. It gets bigger and more beautiful every year. It's planted in a mesh bag planter on a shelf in the pond. The water is just covering its soil. In the fall, I trim it completely down and it freezes solid in the ice.
I recently built a bog and planted a couple of Marsh Marigold pieces that somehow just appeared in the pond. I think it will do great in the bog hence the name "Marsh" Marigold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Joe! Going to put one marigold in the bog and another between some rocks at the water edge. I have read they are easy to grow and when I saw them at our local nursery I snatched them up.

Yeah, King Tut....all I see is Steve Martin dancing.:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Found some info on planting King Tut.

The plant can be planted in pots, along the waters edge of a pond, or even in a pond. The crown of the plant should never be covered in water and in fact both of these varieties can thrive in water as shallow as a few inches. The purpose is to keep the bulk of the soil or root mass wet.
The root ball can be submerged but it isn't necessary. If the plant is put into a pot I would suggest plugging the hole or holes in the bottom of the pot to keep as much water as possible in the pot.”

Dwarf will go into the bog and the large one at the ponds edge. Let’s see how these fare.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've planted papyrus (King Tut) in pots, both in and out of the pond. The regular variety gets REALLY big and the root system is massive, so be aware of that when you plant it. It takes two of us to pull them out of my pots when they are done for the season. I use a pick axe to chop them into pieces so I can compost them. The dwarf variety is much more manageable. I love them both though - they give you a tropical look in a non-tropical location!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmm, now I'm interested in King Tut to plant in a big pot :) I've included a Marsh Marigold in my plant order from William Trickers and am planning on planting it into my bog.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Marsh Marigold does phenomenal in my bog. I tried it in a pot in my pond a few years ago, but it was under a couple inches of water and never did well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This Marsh Marigold has been in our pond for years. Zone 6b.
20200504_103348.jpg

Excuse the green water. It has completely cleared up since starting up our new bog filter about a week ago.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My marsh marigold was fantastic this year - lots of blooms for weeks and weeks. Although this is growing in the margins of my pond, that's essentially the same as a growing in a bog.

IMG_1347.jpeg

Ask a Question