King Tut Papyrus

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Jimmy Gibson, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

IMG_6761.JPG IMG_6762.JPG IMG_6763.JPG Sarah and I have bought one of these every year for the last 10 years ( they don't survive zone 7 winters), we usually put them in a large pot by the pool. It's in a small pot with dirt but it's has its feet in the water. I have never had one this big, over 10' tall and still growing. Apparently it likes Koi water, thought it was root bound, but it has roots running everywhere. Next year will do the same but with a bigger pot. Learning alot this first year Ponding.... Lol Jimmy

Jimmy Gibson, Aug 5, 2017
    haver79 and HARO like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Jimmy Gibson

Lisak1

I love those King Tuts! I have put them in pots every year and then the next spring cursed myself because of the giant root ball I had to get out of the pot! We have grown the dwarf varieties in the pond - I'd be afraid to try the Kings!

Lisak1, Aug 5, 2017
    HARO likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

I will probably curse myself this fall when I have to pull it out. I put in a small rectangular plastic pot that has the holes in each corner, it has roots going everywhere. It has even sent roots over the top of the pot, which is out of the water.... Lol

4. Jimmy Gibson

Lisak1

They are tremendous growers. I do love them! There's just nothing like them.

Lisak1, Aug 5, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  5. Jimmy Gibson

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

FYI; I've kept dwarf papyrus alive the past three winters indoors, under lights. They struggle a bit but they survive. Just like my taro.

brokensword, Aug 5, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  6. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

You can't see from the pictures but I have dwarf papyrus also, they will survive our winter, so I am going to put them in the ground this fall and in the spring put them back into the pond

7. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

A most impressive plant. Ideally suited for large ponds. It is too bad that it is only winter hardy in Zone 10 and higher. I grew it one year in the wetlands filter. It got humongous but did not overwinter and I am in Zone 9a.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 5, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question