Kings Norton Pond UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently move to a new house that has a large natural clay bottomed pond, that is about 170,000 litres and approximately 1-1.25m deep. It was neglected for many years and I have had it dug out and deepened.

I want the pond to be a natural pond with a few fish and lots of plants.

I would like it to be as much as possible maintenance free and planning a lined bog filter to keep the pond clear and maybe an aerator when I put some fish in next summer. I have read up on bog filters but have been told recently that they are a lot of work.

I would like any advice, particularly as to people experience of the efficiency of bog filters, but any advice on anything will be very welcome.

I have attached a photo.

Regards

Richard

Attachments

• Pond Photo.jpg
    Pond Photo.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 103

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Bog filters if designed correctly are literally minimal work at best. If it were me with a natural clay bottom pond, I would build an intake bay or negative edge to feed the bog. Then design the bog using the Aquascape method (centipede, snorkel and water matrix blocks).

This design will not clog easily as the snorkel in the bog will enable you to pump out any fine silty material that settles out of the water column.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed ............ One note for you to take in and listen good be careful what plants you put in there they many are considered invasive and with a clay bottom they could take over very very very quickly and you may never get control. Back to the bog like JHN said a bog and you have beyond a perfect set up in the making. i don't know where your home is or the viewing area but that sweet four foot drop down to the pond with the willow tree OMG that could be breath taking. The area in the bottom left could be your intake bay and or a negative edge /Skimmer. pump the water up to the bog in red and make a stunning water fall down into the pond. the only thing that could be better is the water run off all seems to go to the pond but there's no major algae so that's a plus
yo.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bog filters if designed correctly are literally minimal work at best. If it were me with a natural clay bottom pond, I would build an intake bay or negative edge to feed the bog. Then design the bog using the Aquascape method (centipede, snorkel and water matrix blocks).

This design will not clog easily as the snorkel in the bog will enable you to pump out any fine silty material that settles out of the water column.

Hi,

This sounds like good advice, I will look into it.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Richard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea no problem feel free to ask any time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
"I have read up on bog filters but have been told recently that they are a lot of work"

That is absolutely not true. Once your bog is built and is built correctly and sized correctly, the only thing you may have to do is manage the plants that are growing in it. That's it. No cleaning. No rinsing of filter pads. Zero filter maintenance. No UV lights necessary. Sit back and enjoy crystal clear water.

One thing...since your pond has a natural bottom, no liner, it may get clouded up if your fish stir up the bottom. The bog will clear that in a day or two, but it could be an ongoing problem.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read up on bog filters but have been told recently that they are a lot of work.
The only work mine took was building it. Yearly maintenance is yanking out excess plant growth. Fall maintenance, rake out dead stuff , done, spring one more rake of dead stuff done. I can ignore my pond all summer if I need to. Except excess growth in the bog.

Mine is just pvc pipes, pea gravel and plants. I did not do the snorkel, aqua blocks etc that others have done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed ............ One note for you to take in and listen good be careful what plants you put in there they many are considered invasive and with a clay bottom they could take over very very very quickly and you may never get control. Back to the bog like JHN said a bog and you have beyond a perfect set up in the making. i don't know where your home is or the viewing area but that sweet four foot drop down to the pond with the willow tree OMG that could be breath taking. The area in the bottom left could be your intake bay and or a negative edge /Skimmer. pump the water up to the bog in red and make a stunning water fall down into the pond. the only thing that could be better is the water run off all seems to go to the pond but there's no major algae so that's a plusView attachment 132278
There is an old waterfall further back in the bottom left hand corner of the photo that is not shown, which i was going to reinstate. What I will try and do is do a drawing and post that. It could take a while so don't hold your breath.

Thanks all, I'll be back in touch.

Regards

Richard

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is absolutely not true.
i don't know sitting back watching the bog grow is pretty stressful and taking a weed wacker in the fall and raking ALL the plants that sucked up the nutrients that the algae didn't get sucks. Its a lot to ask for crystal clear water all year and having rocks with a little peach fuzz on them instead of not even knowing theres a rock in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
i don't know sitting back watching the bog grow is pretty stressful and taking a weed wacker in the fall and raking ALL the plants that sucked up the nutrients that the algae didn't get sucks. Its a lot to ask for crystal clear water all year and having rocks with a little peach fuzz on them instead of not even knowing theres a rock in the pond
Ha! Love the sarcasm!
Ok, I'll add my 2 cents...
It IS a lot of work sitting there looking through crystal clear water and seeing every little tiny grain and granule laying on the liner three feet down!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ha! Love the sarcasm!
Ok, I'll add my 2 cents...
It IS a lot of work sitting there looking through crystal clear water and seeing every little tiny grain and granule laying on the liner three feet down!
And trying to count the little rocks and snails down there.

Ask a Question