Kinky!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
oh the trials and tribulations of a n00b pond builder... Ok as i'm finishing up my pond the other day, i got this big scare while hooking up the pump. i was able to kink some "kink-free" piping! :oops: as u will see in the 1st pix below, the "kink-free" pipe takes a sharp turn downward and kinks as it connects to the optional check-valve i installed on the pond pump. Omg how did i mess this up i thought?! this is gonna bogg down my waterflow! and the pipe is gonna burst! you see, moments before i had just cut off like 12inches of pipe to fit them. now i was worried if i had to remove the check-valve, my pipe would be too short to reach the pump. Or if i flipped the pump, the pipe would not reach the connect on the far side b/c i had just cut off the extra length.

kinky1.jpg

so i thought i would have to improvise and DIY something. i first disconnected the pump and hacksawed off like an inch of the barb fitting that slips into the pipe. i hoped that the reduced height would give the "kink-free" pipe some relief and it curves more naturally and not kink as it connects to the check-valve and pump. Butt it still kinks! :mad: i thought about hacking off more barb fitting and i'm really nervous if i hack off too much, there would not be enough overlap to securely connect the pipe and it still might not work! :cry: so i gave up on it for the day.

today i thought hacking off more barb fitting and remembered that the pump came and check-valve w/ various attachments including a super long one i could use if i removed the check-valve. i went back through some boxes, found the long attachment BUTT i also found an elbow joint! ok this might work better! so instead of running the pipe downward, i can run it across horizontally to connect to the elbow joint!

i remove the barb fitting, fit the elbow joint onto the check-valve and put the barb fitting on it. i cut like another inch off the "kink-free" pipe, fingers cross and its like a perfect fit! Yayayah!! :ROFLMAO: crisis averted! i was so scared that i messed up really bad and would have to dig up and replace the piping.

kinky2.jpg

so i'm not filling up the pond w/ the garden hose. i'm letting the rain fill it up the next 2 days or so. maybe i will have to top it off w/ the hose for my first pond fill/rock wash and test run but i am so glad that this is like done!! i also got my Japanese Maple planted just as the rains started. phew!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Much better solution then the kink in the reinforce flexable pvc. Kink free is actually the cheaper of the flexable pvc pipes. it will hold it's shape a little better then standard if in a straight line and back filled but if done right the solid looking flex pvc can hold up even better and sure as hell can take more abuse. you solved the problem but for anyone else reading this in the future instead of using a 90 degree elbow they have what's called street 90's it's not a hard 90 degree turn it's more of a sweeping turn and will create less head pressure. Its not drastic but every bit helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichV

Latest Threads